Snakes in the house and garden

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Bitje
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Snakes in the garden

Post by Bitje »

Wow...nice! :shock:
vistana

snake tongs

Post by vistana »

Seem to be getting more snakes in the garden and would like to buy some snake tongs, any idea where I can buy some and a rough price?

Thanks very much :cheers:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: snake tongs

Post by hhfarang »

There's a thread on that here somewhere with ordering info I believe. You can try a search, but it was at least a couple of years ago.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, it's in our existing "snakes in the garden" thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21874

....and, it would be a good idea just to merge this thread with that one. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
fpvguy
Amateur
Amateur

Post by fpvguy »

I posted in the other thread about the snake I met outside the house gates, and just got confirmed by the famous youtube character "Viperkeeper" that it was indeed a Malayan pit viper. Here's the pic again

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I really hate snakes that don't move when approached. The Russell viper is another one like the Malaysian pit viper. They just sit and strike whether you look like food or not. A pet, a kid, or even us has no chance. :( Pete

Russell Viper: https://www.google.com/search?q=russell ... 80&bih=692
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
fpvguy
Amateur
Amateur

Post by fpvguy »

prcscct wrote:I really hate snakes that don't move when approached. The Russell viper is another one like the Malaysian pit viper. They just sit and strike whether you look like food or not. A pet, a kid, or even us has no chance. :( Pete

Russell Viper: https://www.google.com/search?q=russell ... 80&bih=692
According to google, the mortality rate is about 2% for the Malayan, but it's basically always 50/50. The wounds do look nasty though.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A lot of the mortality figures in SE Asia I'm sure are just like a heart attack or any other serious health issue where you could be a very long distance away from any hospital, compounded by possibly not having the transport to get there. Cambodia is filled with Russell vipers and I saw a show once that you need to get attention and anti-venom within 2 hours or at the very least, you'll lose the arm or leg that was bitten.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This baby is currently hiding in the next door neighbour's tree waiting for the snake catcher. This is the snake my wife and neighbours fear most - they call it a Moo Tabat.

Our Rottweiler has dispatched several of these as the come into our house. I offered her services, but they said it was too dangerous (for the snake?). Anyway, does anybody know it's English name?
DSC05826b.png
DSC05826b.png (455.94 KiB) Viewed 745 times
DSC05827b.png
DSC05827b.png (471.28 KiB) Viewed 745 times
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

We had a Cobra in our garden a few weeks back - I didn't realise what it was when I went to investigate, but as soon as it's head reared up it was obvious. My wife (very sensibly I guess) wouldn't let me deal with it so called some people she knows who came and dealt with it the way Thais do. I normally try to evict the snake without killing it, but certainly if it's a Cobra or Pit Viper, then you don't want them coming back.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Big Boy wrote:This baby is currently hiding in the next door neighbour's tree waiting for the snake catcher.
The snake catcher turned out to be a truck with 15 people. It was efficiently captured, and taken for release elsewhere.

Points 51; Position 21
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

vistana wrote:Seem to be getting more snakes in the garden and would like to buy some snake tongs, any idea where I can buy some and a rough price?

Thanks very much :cheers:
http://www.siam-info.com/english/snake_catcher.html

Directions on how to make a snake catcher.
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Moo Tabat ?

Ngu Ta-bat, Ngu Ta-Bak, Ngu Gap-pha are all sounds used for the Malayan Pit Viper (and any other small brown snake which could even remotely confused for it). Thai's often just use the English word 'pit' on it's own.

Ngu, sounds like Noo but as if you've got a block nose and a speech impediment.

Hard to tell from the pictures but yours look like it might be too large for a 'pit', None of them really get to a metre long (except the Russell's which could be a little over a metre).
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Frank Hovis wrote:Moo Tabat ?

Ngu Ta-bat, Ngu Ta-Bak, Ngu Gap-pha are all sounds used for the Malayan Pit Viper (and any other small brown snake which could even remotely confused for it). Thai's often just use the English word 'pit' on it's own.
My interpretayion of what I hear, which is probably why I have so much difficulty speaking the language :oops:
Frank Hovis wrote:Hard to tell from the pictures but yours look like it might be too large for a 'pit', None of them really get to a metre long (except the Russell's which could be a little over a metre).
I would say well under a metre - I was obviously much closer than you think.

Points 51; Position 21
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

I would say well under a metre - I was obviously much closer than you think.
Much closer than you probably should have been then !

My general rule with snakes is that if I'm not 100% sure of it's identification then assume it is extremely dangerous, if I am 100% sure then assume it could be dangerous to receive a bite anyway and act accordingly.

Vipers have a very long strike range relative to body size and don't seem all that keen on giving a warning beforehand.