BOXING

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
JD
Legend
Legend

BOXING

Post by JD »

Any fans out there?

I think after both their current fights and records this would be a match up I would love to see.

Calzaghe vs Hopkins in America

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/6053046.stm

Don't see many fights on TV in Thailand and am reduced to reading about them on the internet, does any bar show the latest championship fights, can be after the result, I don't care. I miss my boxing days.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Joe had a really hard time getting on top of Sakio Bika last night but the judges awarded him the fight comfortably by between 5 and 7 rounds nevertheless. Bika was warned on a number of occasions by referee Vann and was eventually deducted two points for repeated butting. According to pundit barry McGuigan, Bika was lucky not to have been disqualified, having cut Calzaghe with a butt early on. Bika also pole-axed Joe with a blow to the knackers and joe later described him as the dirtiest fighter he had been in the ring with.

Once again, Joe fought most of the fight with only one good hand.

Having reigned unbeaten as World Champ for an incredible nine years, Joe has now equalled Bernard Hopkins' 19 successful world title defences and is only 6 wins away from beating Joe Louis' all time record of 25 defences. The only thing that will stop him reaching that target is the damage he has done to his famous left hand because unfortunately it is clear that he does not have the heavy handed power that he once had.

Add to that his induction into the American 'The Ring' magazine's Top 10 pound for pound list and the presentation belt that was awarded to him last Wednesday in recognition of him being the 'undisputed' best Super Middleweight in the world and Joe is fast approaching legendary status. Not in Britain though, because the 'British' sports media simply ignore him. The BBC Sports personality of the Year is coming up and despite his achievements he won't get a look in. Joe is too proud to admit it but in the UK, being a Welsh-Italian sportsman is simply not 'box office.'

After watching the Clinton Woods - Glen Johnson fight I think Joe could step up to Light-heavyweight and more or less take the title straight off Woods. Joe is just in another league.

Mikkel Kessler looked powerful in his win over Markus Beyer last night and he apparently wants a crack at Joe in a four belt unification fight but I think Joe should go to the states and take on Hopkins, that is if Hopkins is up for it having supposedly retired after losing his middleweight title and then winning the IBO LHW title. That would be a biggie and I just hope Joe's left is in good enough shape if the fight happens.
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

I never saw the fight or highlights, only read what I could on the internet, I agree he should maybe avoid Mikkel Kessler as a next bout, although I think if he goes to America it will be because they want this bout to take place soon.

Woods would lose his title for sure and maybe the boxing pundits in America will let Joe do so first. But I would welcome a bout with Hopkins, one for the record books in every sense. I think he needs to avoid Kessler until his “left’ is sorted out.

It is a shame that the leading UK boxer won’t get a look in at the Sports Personality of the Year, even Dave ‘Boy’ Green, the ‘bleeder’ in shorts that he was, got a look in on that stage many years ago. Although he was fighting at the same time as Sugar Ray, Hagler and the likes. I suppose boxing doesn’t get the same profile it used to before.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th