No more smoking in public in Thailand

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

No more smoking in public in Thailand

Post by StevePIraq »

Smokers heading outside the front of buildings in Thailand for a quick cigarette will soon be a thing of the past. New laws have been enacted that will shortly come into force.
New regulations have been issued by the Department of Public Health which will force smokers to stay well away from public buildings and public areas. The ban will include people smoking outside café and restaurants.
There will be a five metre perimeter exclusion zone from the entrances or exist of all public buildings.

This includes condos, rental buildings, pubs, hotels, religious buildings, karaoke establishments, restaurants, laundries, salons, cinemas, parking areas, spas, areas for Thai massage, clinics, hospitals, schools, swimming pools, fitness parks, clinics and ‘other places’, according to Thai Rath. The regulations also specify precisely where internal smoking areas in buildings may be located.
The new regulations will come into force in 90 days of this latest announcement.

https://pattayaone.news/en/smoking-publ ... 4Klpl3TuUE

Now if only it would be enforced.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Re: No more smoking in public in Thailand

Post by laphanphon »

Finally. Didn't realize, and TBO, though it was a farce, 2nd hand smoke impact of peoples health, until I burned one, very rare, possibly a one off, unless friend visits again ... LOL ... and my AQI meter went from <50 / healthy to over 400 / extremely unhealthy, and actually 600+ when exhaled toward it. This in an enclosed 5 X 5 meter room.

Just the smell bothered me, from store bought cigs, and usually avoidable. But that did point out, it is extremely unhealthy, and a believer now, where before, thought it / 2nd hand smoke, was BS.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The upside is that e-cigarettes (vaping) is set to become legal in Thailand....... at last some sense coming out of the Food and Drug Administration.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I really understood the addictive capacity of nicotine when I saw Canadians going outside bars etc for a smoke when it was -30C.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The same in the UK (at least when I left) that pubs had installed 'smoking areas' outside complete with outdoor heaters. Cold weather or a herd of wolves won't overcome an addiction!!
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

And somehow, this is legal .... :shock:

But they are just now getting around to regulate and or legalize ganga :rasta:

"For instance, when tobacco researchers found that much of the nicotine in a cigarette wasn't released when burned but rather remained chemically bound within the tobacco leaf, they began adding substances such as ammonia to cigarette tobacco to release more nicotine."
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/cigarette ... e_nfp.html
"Increased Nicotine: Tobacco companies precisely control the delivery and amount of nicotine to create and sustain addiction. Ammonia: Added ammonia compounds produce higher levels of 'freebase' nicotine and increase the speed with which nicotine hits the brain."
https://www.tobaccofreekids.org/press-r ... _23_report
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

It will become law as the killjoy squad has much influence these days and the PM is a well known fully signed-up member of it. Thing is though, will it be enforced and by who? Probably not for the locals but maybe as a shake-down thing for foreigners or those who have now power etc.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

Those who kill themselves by smoking now do it mostly by free choice. I do not choose to consume someone else's poisonous exhalation when I am trying to enjoy a meal in a restaurant. Smoking in a restaurant has all the social charm and good manners as public masturbation.
ดวงขึ้น
จิม
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Jim wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:00 pm Smoking in a restaurant has all the social charm and good manners as public masturbation.
but it's not half as entertaining to watch :laugh:
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Quite right, govt is correct, just as they are in insisting that m/bikers wear a helmet and making prostitution illegal.
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

Well the vapour things are just another awful bloody habit with ten times more smoke. Wait for some egit to start puffing when they are sitting next to you when you go out for a meal.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

What about vehicles that spew smoke out their exhaust pipes? That's illegal and not enforced so why would the smoking law be enforced? Maybe because it will be a source of tea money? Maybe that's why the law was passed. It's cheaper than raising salaries to a livable level, although I don't know if that would curtail the bribery. This is a peculiar country.
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

I have two major problems with smokers. Firstly many of them, not all, have absolutely no consideration for others they just sit in the middle of a group and blow smoke on everyone around them. The second one concerns the working environment. Many smokers continually take a smoking break (often in groups) and can spend much more than an hour a day on smoking breaks during work time. This means that none smokers are (1) working at least an hour longer than smokers and (2) are doing the work of smokers (answering telephones, etc.). Smokers should be paid MUCH less than none smokers!
Eiahhh

Post by Eiahhh »

I got yelled at HARD at the beach a couple weeks ago, when i fired up a sig... they have these small appointed smoking areas in the sunbed/beach bar area, so maybe they will enforce the same thing in the bar/restaurant area..... God I hope not
:cheers: :rasta: :rasta: :rasta: :rasta:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

stretch wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:35 pm Well the vapour things are just another awful bloody habit with ten times more smoke. Wait for some egit to start puffing when they are sitting next to you when you go out for a meal.
I agree. If they bring 'vaping' back it should be regulated by banning the 'super-vapers'. There really is no need for them. I tried e-cigs quite successfully before they were banned here. It put out probably less 'smoke' than a cigarette and dissipated to nothing very quickly.