Health insurance now mandatory for long-stay foreigners

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Groodman

Re: Health insurance now mandatory for long-stay foreigners

Post by Groodman »

Some time ago I went to an Insurance Agents in Hua Hin to enquire about Health Insurance. I was correctly advised that due to my preexisting conditions any claim was likely to be refused even though I have never been hospitalised with them, a period of 16 years, I have regular health checks and take my medication. I cannot see what use a mandatory Health Insurance scheme would be to me or help fund the Government Hospitals.

I would be happy to pay THB 80000 to 100000 to the Government Hospitals on renewal of my Visas Extension to allow me to have the same rights as Thais at Government Hospitals. Alternatively I would be happy to keep THB 400000 to 800000 in a Thai Bank Account, to be checked on doing my 90 Day Reporting (which might make online reporting difficult). If this balance was reduced for other than hospital treatment the extension could be cancelled on 7 days notice.

I think both the above would be more beneficial for the Government Hospitals
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

nil wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:43 pm
Nereus wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:35 pm
The requirement applies to all new applicants for one-year non-immigrant O-A visas, and for those applying to “renew” their one-year permits-to-stay, he said.
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/cabinet-a ... lv6BOTd.99
You can also read that as renewing their O-A visa. The rest of the article just seems to focus on this visa such as:

“Cabinet approved an extra health insurance requirement for foreigners applying for one-year Non-Immigrant O-A visas,” Dr Natthawut said”

It’s confusing.
I agree with you NIL. OA visas only until they say otherwise because nowhere has it been said that Non O visas are included - why would they when that class of visa already confirms the persons financial position well above the insurance requirements. Typical Forum panic
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

musungu wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:01 am
nil wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:43 pm
Nereus wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:35 pm

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/cabinet-a ... lv6BOTd.99
You can also read that as renewing their O-A visa. The rest of the article just seems to focus on this visa such as:

“Cabinet approved an extra health insurance requirement for foreigners applying for one-year Non-Immigrant O-A visas,” Dr Natthawut said”

It’s confusing.
I agree with you NIL. OA visas only until they say otherwise because nowhere has it been said that Non O visas are included - why would they when that class of visa already confirms the persons financial position well above the insurance requirements. Typical Forum panic
Its nothing to do with PANIC! More to do with reading plain English. Also to do with what is being reported and translated, as there are still MANY on here that keep insisting that they have a "retirement visa" when there is no such thing.

Please read that which is written, NOT what you THINK is written:
The requirement applies to all new applicants for one-year non-immigrant O-A visas, and for those applying to “renew” their one-year permits-to-stay, he said.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Um, very few people renew OA visas. After one or two years here on them, most people either decide to stay or move on.
I agree that Non O visas haven't been specifically mentioned but renewals of long stay have. To me, that means annual extensions of stay and that has been specifically mentioned.
So, it's actually not "typical forum panic". It seems as though the intention is that the new regulation covers all those who stay here long term - ie live here.
Of course, as with most "well thought out" new immigration regulations, the proof will be in the eating.
Whether those already having to fund, interest free, the Thai economy by leaving 400K THB idle in Thai banks forever or whether those who rely on income routes may have to re-adjust remains to be seen.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thank you, Nereus. Our posts crossed.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It will be interesting to hear from anybody who is soon due to do their annual extension and what Immigration tell them.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

As an added addition.perhaps the mods will transfer to the appropriate thread;
Quote"there is no such thing as a retirement visa"!!!
Perhaps this is correct in general when discussing a long term visa when in Thailand or visiting not sure.
But Thai immigration regard the extension visa they issue as "RETIREMENT",. every extension i have had,along with a multiple entry stamp is placed in my passport which states RETIREMENT.
Is this just semantics? When i am asked what type of visa i have in Thailand i automatically reply, retirement.
That is what is states in my passport,surely that must be therefore correct???
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

^^
You have an extension based on retirement......And that extension is normally based on a Non-O or OA visa, which can be decades old....but that is your visa. All extensions after that are just 'extensions'.....It is the same visas used for extensions based on marriage/education/Thai child. Those extensions will of course not have the word 'retirement' in them.
Semantics/....Yes Does a retirement-visa exist?.....No
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

Then i am going to disagree,every extension i have in my passport, the word "RETIREMENT" is stamped above the extension,followed by a further multiple entry stamp which does not include the word retirement.
So,from an immigration officer/airline check-in person,i have a retirement visa,my passport states this!!!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Thistle wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:42 pm Then i am going to disagree,every extension i have in my passport, the word "RETIREMENT" is stamped above the extension,followed by a further multiple entry stamp which does not include the word retirement.
So,from an immigration officer/airline check-in person,i have a retirement visa,my passport states this!!!
And your re-entry stamp clearly states "NON-IMM" as part of it, whereas your extension has "retirement" added as a separate stamp as that is what your "extension of stay" is based on. At one time that was written in by hand by the officer processing the application.

When you fill in your application form for your extension of stay(TM 7)where it asks for "kind of visa", do you put retirement? I don't think so. What it does have further down, the last section on the page, it has a big open area where you are asked: "reason (s) for extension..........................................."

That is where you write "retirement" OR, whatever reason you might have for applying for an extension of stay.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

Yes,my multiple re-entry permit states Non-IMM.
So to clarify,if i chose not to have multiple entry the word RETIREMENT would not appear on my extension to stay.I am asking this based upon the fact i have always had multiple re-entry,and never done a 90 day report.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Your re-entry permit and your extension are separate entities. The former simply keeps the latter "alive" if you leave the country. Without a re-entry permit (whether single or multi entry), your year's permission to stay (extension) would lapse when you went through passport control.
As TOM explained above, the annual extension you do is not a visa. It is an extension to one (and that must be a Non Immigrant Visa of whatever sort. O, OA, B, M etc etc) that you got before and remains the original visa you extend off ad infinitum as long as you do so at the right time.
Your extension is on the basis of retirement (as opposed to marriage, supporting a Thai child etc).
Again, it is not a visa, it is an annual extension based on retirement.
As TOM said, it is semantics but when we try and answer visa issues it's best to be clear about what we're discussing.
Oh, and 90 day reports are yet another issue that anyway don't seem to concern you as you leave before you've stayed 90 consecutive days here.
Hope that makes sense.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

Oki doki,appreciate your response,thanks.
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

A little update:
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... l/30369468

Thoughts.....38 million O-A visas (???) left a debt of 305 million baht at hospitals.....That is 8 baht per visa-holder...!!
Thai solution: Burden long time expats with mandatory insurance costing between 50-100.000 per year/person. First the longer seasoning and the 400k, that you can't touch at all. It is getting more and more obvious...They don't want us here..!!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

T.O.M. wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:30 pm A little update:
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... l/30369468

Thoughts.....38 million O-A visas (???) left a debt of 305 million baht at hospitals.....That is 8 baht per visa-holder...!!
Thai solution: Burden long time expats with mandatory insurance costing between 50-100.000 per year/person. First the longer seasoning and the 400k, that you can't touch at all. It is getting more and more obvious...They don't want us here..!!
At least the article indicates that the new ruling has yet to be implemented - stating that it’s likely to be introduced in July, so a little breathing time for (hopefully) further clarity or better still, a change of mind?