Coronavirus Precautions/News/Updates for Hua Hin/Prachuap

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
Big Boy

Re: Coronavirus Precautions - Hua Hin/Thailand

Post by Big Boy »

thecolonel wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:03 pm
Big Boy wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:51 pm How does it work if you're a foreigner, get covid 19 and you're admitted to HHH

Are they a private hospital as well as a Government one, just cheaper than BKK HH and San Paulo?
Yes, considerably cheaper, and in most cases better equipped. I think much more than a bad cold or a broken bone, the others send you elsewhere.

I've used all 3 in Hua Hin (including operations), and there's only one proper hospital in my opinion.
Good to hear BB!

So bottom line is if you get the dreaded lurghy you'll happily let HHH take care of you.

Any ideas on basic cost per night(excl specific treatments of course) of being an inpatient there? Are you familiar with any previous threads on this subject?

That's if one even needs to be hospitalised, for this. I'm feeling that not 'every' case of CV19 will require in patient treatment, some may be sent home to isolate and take meds??
I refuse to go anywhere else. I will only enter the other hospitals to visit sick friends these days. So yes, I wouldn't hesitate.

My wife has been on a high dependency ward a couple of times in the last 12 months, and the doctors and nurses have been fantastic - I've done a couple of 24 hour bedside vigils, and there is absolutely nothing to fear. I know NHS gets a lot of flak, but I put Hua Hin Hospital well ahead of NHS. The exception being the food - I could not eat the food.

I have no idea about treatment costs as they vary from condition to condition. However, for myself treatment for a condition at Bangkok Hospital it cost me about £6,000, with dozens of follow up visits. The condition returned last year, and Hua Hin Hospital cured me in 2 visits for <2,000฿.

The Hua Hin Hospital prices I can tell you about is private rooms - they come in 3 flavours. 1,800฿, 2,000฿ and 2,800฿. Even the cheapest room is probably double the size of a Bangkok Hospital room. May not be as luxurious, but had everything we needed and was clean.

As for Covid, the word is they are not treating patients in the main hospital, but in a unit away from the hospital. I have my suspicions it could be on the 10th floor of the new car park, but that is only a suspicion. Since the outbreak began, 2 lifts have been locked on the 10th floor, but that is me putting 2 + 2 and probably making 17.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:55 pm I came across this a couple of days ago. I'm no expert, but Varsoy Healthcare seems a reputable organisation. So whilst a cloth mask may save your wallet some pain, it might not save you. Mrs BB has breathing problems, and can't handle anything apart from cloth masks - I haven't shown her this list, although I'm keeping her pretty well isolated at the moment.

92118219_10213021565293195_5608939061910700032_n.jpg
Varsoy Healthcare is not what it seems. It's a pharmaceutical organisation based in India.

Need I say more.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

And????

I find the assertions of that comment quite offensive. Are you painting all Indians with the same brush?

Points 51; Position 21
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

thecolonel wrote:
Big Boy wrote:Whilst on the subject of masks, I took my car to the ferry pier and back earlier (didn't get out of car). As masks was high in my thought process, I did a Mk1 eyeball survey while I was driving. My findings were:
  • Thais wearing masks - >90%
  • Farangs wearing masks - around 50%
....... Don't leave us in suspenders BB?!

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Tapatalk doesn't show lists. If you go to his post, tap quote, then edit, you'll see the list. Then exit with discard unless you want to reply.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Original post amended.

Points 51; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I see that the CDC has now reversed its previous position and is advising people to start wearing cloth face covers.
I don't agree that they have reversed their position. They have accepted that there is a large number of asymptomatic carriers, believed to be as much as 50% who are now proved to be contagious even before symptoms ensue. Until relatively recently, it was understood that an individual wasn't contagious unless they had symptoms. Also the percentage of people that are asymptomatic seems to have grown massively.

Their stance, like many of the top organisations/experts, remains the same. i.e. a mask does not protect the wearer but will protect others from spread of a carrier who is wearing a mask.

Because it's now understood that there are many asymptomatic cases, it's now recommended to wear cloth masks to prevent the spread from a carrier. So wearing a mask amongst others becomes important. When away from people, then it becomes unnecessary.

Washing hands and keeping social distancing (>2 mtrs) is still the number one precaution.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:21 pm And????

I find the assertions of that comment quite offensive. Are you painting all Indians with the same brush?
Not at all. I was pointing out that it's a pharmaceutical organisation. Just saying that it's based in India. I have worked with numerous indians in my work in the past. They are far ahead of most countries in many things.

Sorry I gave that impression.

My God, if it wasn't for India, I doubt whether I'd have the wherewithall to retire here.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

With regard to the wearing of masks outdoors I wonder if that includes those of us in gated communities whilst walking around the development? Not strictly a public space but the order does not specify.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:
Big Boy wrote: Yes, considerably cheaper, and in most cases better equipped. I think much more than a bad cold or a broken bone, the others send you elsewhere.

I've used all 3 in Hua Hin (including operations), and there's only one proper hospital in my opinion.
Good to hear BB!

So bottom line is if you get the dreaded lurghy you'll happily let HHH take care of you.

Any ideas on basic cost per night(excl specific treatments of course) of being an inpatient there? Are you familiar with any previous threads on this subject?

That's if one even needs to be hospitalised, for this. I'm feeling that not 'every' case of CV19 will require in patient treatment, some may be sent home to isolate and take meds??
I refuse to go anywhere else. I will only enter the other hospitals to visit sick friends these days. So yes, I wouldn't hesitate.

My wife has been on a high dependency ward a couple of times in the last 12 months, and the doctors and nurses have been fantastic - I've done a couple of 24 hour bedside vigils, and there is absolutely nothing to fear. I know NHS gets a lot of flak, but I put Hua Hin Hospital well ahead of NHS. The exception being the food - I could not eat the food.

I have no idea about treatment costs as they vary from condition to condition. However, for myself treatment for a condition at Bangkok Hospital it cost me about £6,000, with dozens of follow up visits. The condition returned last year, and Hua Hin Hospital cured me in 2 visits for <2,000฿.

The Hua Hin Hospital prices I can tell you about is private rooms - they come in 3 flavours. 1,800฿, 2,000฿ and 2,800฿. Even the cheapest room is probably double the size of a Bangkok Hospital room. May not be as luxurious, but had everything we needed and was clean.

As for Covid, the word is they are not treating patients in the main hospital, but in a unit away from the hospital. I have my suspicions it could be on the 10th floor of the new car park, but that is only a suspicion. Since the outbreak began, 2 lifts have been locked on the 10th floor, but that is me putting 2 + 2 and probably making 17.
Off topic ish

IMO Bangkok Hospital have an over inflated opinion of themselves.

Just because theyre expensive, and because people pay those prices, they think they are 'elite standard'.

In my experience having been an in patient there about 7 nights in total, they're not elite at all. But aside from the money, they are pretty decent I'd say.

The one in Bkk is better as you'd expect

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I won't list my bad experiences. Maybe my family has been unlucky.

Points 51; Position 21
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:
Big Boy wrote: Yes, considerably cheaper, and in most cases better equipped. I think much more than a bad cold or a broken bone, the others send you elsewhere.

Good to hear BB!

I'm trying to get a rough handle on what being hospitalised for COVID 19 would cost a falang here

I can't be the only one who's thought about that!

Appreciate a lot of you will be insured. I'm looking at that but equally trying to weigh up what it might cost to self pay at say HHH

Naturally it depends how badly you get it, I know but even so say 1 week in HHH for a standard case of covid 19... First number in my head is 50,000 baht. 2 weeks 90, 000 baht.

Thoughts anyone?

dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

One of the benefits of wearing a mask is it stops people putting their fingers in the mouth and picking their nose. The latter disgusting habit seems to be a national pastime here.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

For what it's worth, as far as I can see Varsoy healthcare is a chemist good at self promotion! I doubt they have researched themselves what has ended up in their graph. A quick check on the net shows a whole raft of data that challenges what they claim about the effect of cheap masks on stopping the virus.
Last edited by caller on Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Nah, they'll just drop their mask for that, like they do. They quite often wear it under their chin anyway.
It's been shown many times that the act of touching their face increases when wearing a mask. That goes with all the adjustments carried on. Unless they sanitise their hands before touching their mask and so on, the object of wearing one is defeated.
As I've repeated many times, wearing a mask is 100% protection and washing/sanitising hands etc is not considered important and most often considered unnecessary. You just have to stand outside a shop and watch people going in and out.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

dundrillin wrote:One of the benefits of wearing a mask is it stops people putting their fingers in the mouth and picking their nose. The latter disgusting habit seems to be a national pastime here.
Absolutely it does! As I posted on this or similar thread last week a 'top' Consultant Doctor at Bkk Hospital recently picked his nose right in front of me as we sat discussing my case.

This led me to conclude that his behaviour probably felt quite normal to him. Also makes me question why Thailand is way behind UK on cases/deaths when generally speaking the personal habits are less hygienic