'How To' - Requirements for visa extensions etc

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: 'How To' - Requirements for visa extensions etc

Post by Dannie Boy »

Just a question, am I right to believe that they have extended the need to renew visas until 31st July, so doing it now is voluntary rather than compulsory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Not the annual extensions, DB. They need to be done. No amnesty.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Oh dear - I’m in big trouble then as mine expired 3rd June. I obviously mis read that there was an amnesty until 31st July - better get my wallet out for tomorrow!!

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote:Oh dear - I’m in big trouble then as mine expired 3rd June. I obviously mis read that there was an amnesty until 31st July - better get my wallet out for tomorrow!!

Do you know what the daily fine is?

Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:27 pm Oh dear - I’m in big trouble then as mine expired 3rd June. I obviously mis read that there was an amnesty until 31st July - better get my wallet out for tomorrow!!

Geez, that's not good! You just better hope that they are in a good mood. It is a lot different than just overstaying a tourist entry. Good luck!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:30 pm Do you know what the daily fine is?
I was 3 days late the other year. It was 500 baht per day.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Nereus wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:58 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:27 pm Oh dear - I’m in big trouble then as mine expired 3rd June. I obviously mis read that there was an amnesty until 31st July - better get my wallet out for tomorrow!!

Geez, that's not good! You just better hope that they are in a good mood. It is a lot different than just overstaying a tourist entry. Good luck!
I remember reading your post Nereus and interpreted as applying to renewal of annual visa extensions
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=39126&start=180#p509936
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:00 pm
Nereus wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:58 pm

I remember reading your post Nereus and interpreted as applying to renewal of annual visa extensions
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=39126&start=180#p509936
Do you still have the paperwork from when you were arranging the trip overseas? It might help convince them that it is a genuine mistake.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Yes I have my cancelled tickets so will show them the dates I was traveling. There poster clearly states all types of visa being extended until 31 July so I’m hoping I can plead ignorance!!
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Plenty of people overstay their visas by a few days so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
It will cost you 500 baht per day,at the most, and there will be no repercussions. It was a genuine mistake after all.
The chances of you being blacklisted and hauled off to Suang Plu immigration centre in Bangkok are about the same as Jose Mourinho still being manager of the Spuds in 10 years time. :D
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Isn't there a top end to the overstay fine as well? 5K or 20K rings a bell, and I think you get so many days free at the start as well. I know when I overstayed once, it was nowhere near as bad as the regular daily fine would have you believe.

If you're looking for a lot of good will tomorrow - sorry, I might have used this month's good will allocation today :laugh:

Seriously, they aren't busy/under pressure. Just stay calm, and they have the time to sort it for you. For me, the worst part of today was the downstairs 5 point check, and even that wasn't a problem. I've still not found a bad Immigration Officer, but I've only done the Retirement thing.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:11 pm Just a question, am I right to believe that they have extended the need to renew visas until 31st July, so doing it now is voluntary rather than compulsory?

Therein lies the problem. An annual 'permission to stay' is not a visa so doesn't have any amnesty. As far as I know, if you've stayed beyond your 'permission to stay', then you are in overstay, 500 baht per day up to 20,000. You are now in Thailand without a visa which means leaving the country and returning on a non-o visa and starting the whole procedure from the beginning.

Hopefully, there may be some leniency because of the current situation, but don't count on it.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:11 pm Just a question, am I right to believe that they have extended the need to renew visas until 31st July, so doing it now is voluntary rather than compulsory?

Therein lies the problem. An annual 'permission to stay' is not a visa so doesn't have any amnesty. As far as I know, if you've stayed beyond your 'permission to stay', then you are in overstay, 500 baht per day up to 20,000. You are now in Thailand without a visa which means leaving the country and returning on a non-o visa and starting the whole procedure from the beginning.

Hopefully, there may be some leniency because of the current situation, but don't count on it.
Well I know I’m at their mercy but would hope that there will be some leniency shown - maybe I’m being too optimistic - anyway look out for an update tomorrow unless of course I am sent directly to jail without collecting £200 (for Monopoly lovers).

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Not a visa, but there is a dedicated 90 Day reporting window at Hua Hin Immigration, and stage 4 of the 5 point check also differentiates between Annual and 90 Day. This to me says thay are still doing the 90 Day notification. However, whether voluntary or mandatory I don't know. However, why permanently man a window for something that isn't necessary at the moment.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I have to report at Tha Yang so they might have a different approach