Buying a new laptop

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Buying a new laptop

Post by caller »

I don't understand the issue with intel. If I recall correctly, there was a time when an i3 was their best processor. I am using a battered 4 year Lenovo to type this, which has an i7 processor.

Is there really much difference in price between the different processors after all these years, which means they don't use their latest as standard?
Talk is cheap
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

buksida wrote:That's pretty much what I would buy when looking for a new one, though being a casual gamer I'd pay a little more for a better graphics card.
That's also a 2 year old 9th gen processor. But I expect that an 11th gen i5 laptop would be more expensive. Decent warranty.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

caller wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:39 pm I don't understand the issue with intel. If I recall correctly, there was a time when an i3 was their best processor. I am using a battered 4 year Lenovo to type this, which has an i7 processor.

Is there really much difference in price between the different processors after all these years, which means they don't use their latest as standard?

What is the difference between Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?

https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/ ... 0octa-core.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/intel-cor ... ally-need/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

hhinner wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:57 pm That's also a 2 year old 9th gen processor. But I expect that an 11th gen i5 laptop would be more expensive. Decent warranty.
I would prefer a quad-core over a dual-core processor in a laptop, hence the comment.

This website allows you to compare them side by side: https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Yes of course. But I would prefer a 10th or 11th gen i5 over a 9th gen one.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Indeed, but as BB found out, at current sky-high prices you'll need deep pockets for the latest gen Intel. I'm happy to keep hold of my AMD A10 Acer for another year or so. With the price hike, replacing it will give me a similar spec machine that I bought three and a half years ago for the same price. :shock:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Just a bit of information I wish I'd known yesterday, and thought I'd share it, although I guess many of you already know. Just in case there are people in the dark out there as I was.

After deciding what machine I would buy, actually buying one proved to be very difficult (I now know shops only have demonstration models at the moment). One of the shops suggested when buying was Advice (I'd never heard of it), but like everybody else they didn't have stock.

Eventually I ordered what I wanted with a bit of a lead time, but I got a good deal (RAM upgrade and a 1,000฿ additional discount).

However, enough of my woes/successes. This morning my daughter in law asked if I'd tried the big computer shop on Petchkasem Road. I said no, there is no computer shop on Petchkasem Road. Oh yes there is, across from the pork shop on Soi 68. A quick check on Google Maps, and sure enough, there it is - Advice. I've just been that way to get a gas bottle filled, and sure enough, there it was. From the outside, it looks quite good. I'm just sharing this as another option, because if I'd known about it 24 hours earlier, I would have most certainly taken a look around.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Good info - that may be the only place with stock, will check it out: https://goo.gl/maps/xuMou6HJkAYz97MH8
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:Just a bit of information I wish I'd known yesterday, and thought I'd share it, although I guess many of you already know. Just in case there are people in the dark out there as I was.

After deciding what machine I would buy, actually buying one proved to be very difficult (I now know shops only have demonstration models at the moment). One of the shops suggested when buying was Advice (I'd never heard of it), but like everybody else they didn't have stock.

Eventually I ordered what I wanted with a bit of a lead time, but I got a good deal (RAM upgrade and a 1,000฿ additional discount).

However, enough of my woes/successes. This morning my daughter in law asked if I'd tried the big computer shop on Petchkasem Road. I said no, there is no computer shop on Petchkasem Road. Oh yes there is, across from the pork shop on Soi 68. A quick check on Google Maps, and sure enough, there it is - Advice. I've just been that way to get a gas bottle filled, and sure enough, there it was. From the outside, it looks quite good. I'm just sharing this as another option, because if I'd known about it 24 hours earlier, I would have most certainly taken a look around.
When you get your new machine, please let us know what it is and what you think of its performance - there must be lots of us that will be contemplating an upgrade within the next 12 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The machine I''ve ordered is the 2nd spec I listed yesterday. However, because I've agreed to wait (I was already resigned to keeping my existing machine going for a while when I spat my dummy, and threw my toys yesterday), with the extra RAM it should perform better than a machine without the extra RAM, so any review would be pointless, unless it turns out to be an absolute disaster.

Points 51; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I was thinking more on the lines of something like “ I’ve had the laptop a week now and am amazed at how quick everything works and wish I’d upgraded sooner” or hopefully not, “ I’ve had the laptop a week now and haven’t noticed any real improvements from the old one - I could have saved myself 20,000 Baht” !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Of course, when it eventually arrives, I will let you know. My current machine is on a life support machine, so if it isn't the former, I'm going to be pretty annoyed :D

Points 51; Position 21
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Thanks Pete, the PC World guide was complete gobbledygook, the 2nd one was a help. I'll stick with i7!
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

Had a look in the Advice shop and in short - don't bother. They have no stock (just empty boxes on display) and about 4-5 pricey laptops.

In MV there are three shops, Banana, IT City, and JIB - plenty of machines, but yes prices are up - expect to spend between 20k and 25k for something with a half-decent spec.

They're even now selling desktops without graphics cards as they're impossible to come by at the moment. Why anyone would by a computer without a graphics card I don't know, it simply won't work unless the GPU is built into the mainboard.

So the bottom line is hang on to your hardware until things settle down again.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad I'd ordered online before finding out about Advice then.

Points 51; Position 21