Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Re: Electric Cars

Post by Chazz14 »

I've just come across an alarming article from the National Fire Protection Association's website in the USA re: dealing with lithium battery fires:

https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Research/ ... ded-Energy

This was the scariest paragraph:

" At the impound, the vehicle’s battery ignited twice within the first 24 hours, and the salvage yard operator had to call San Mateo firefighters to assist. The following Thursday, six days after the initial crash, the battery reignited yet again. Tesla engineers eventually removed the remaining battery from the vehicle and de-energized it by submerging it in a vat of salt water. "

Of course, the above article will never appear in the MSM - it hardly fits the current frenzied race for a piece of the electric car sales pie! Electric vehicles are coming - there's a lot of money to be made!

P.S. I had no idea that a Tesla battery weighed 1200 pounds or 544 kgs. which equals 8 people of my weight... I've also read that the battery needed for a 40 ton truck weighs about 5 tons. Imagine if one of those caught fire! -
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Of course, the above article will never appear in the MSM - it hardly fits the current frenzied race for a piece of the electric car sales pie! Electric vehicles are coming - there's a lot of money to be made!
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/10/succ ... index.html

Fortunately, when you consider how many lithium-ion batteries there are in the world today, battery fires are pretty rare.
"It's been estimated to be about one in 12 million. So that's quite favorable,"
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Electric Cars

Post by Dannie Boy »

And of course there have been numerous ICE cars, that have been subject to a number of fire risks - then it’s a comparison between a lithium iron battery fire and an explosive petrol mixture - neither good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I gave up on that link, after 30 seconds of Thai adverts :banghead:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:I gave up on that link, after 30 seconds of Thai adverts :banghead:
You must have had your VPN turned off - mine is set to the UK and there were no adverts.

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:55 pm
Big Boy wrote:I gave up on that link, after 30 seconds of Thai adverts :banghead:
You must have had your VPN turned off - mine is set to the UK and there were no adverts.

I use adblock, a free download and never see ads anywhere.

Sometimes a site will say, "I see your using an adblocker" and ask me to turn it off. I click the "X", the notice goes away and I can see whatever it is they are showing.

Somehow, I just can't picture Uncle Joe driving a truck. Maybe he was thinking about Clint Eastwood, in The Bridges of Madison County and for a moment envisioned stardom.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

That electric F-150 is too extreme but if someone like Toyota or Isuzu produced a similar kind of thing from a normal four door pickup it would be perfect for my uses in Thailand. I particularly like the idea of a luggage space in the front where the engine normally goes as the lack of a lockable boot/trunk is one of the disadvantages of using a pickup as a normal car.
I rarely use a vehicle in Thailand for more than about three hours a day, so the idea of having it charged from solar panels on the carport roof and never going to a gas station again is very attractive.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I remember, years ago, a group of people built a 2 seater with solar panels on the roof and drove across the US.
It's taken until now, for a large company with lots of money, to incorporate that design into a practical vehicle.
I suppose the next step would be to make a passenger vehicle with the same technology.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

handdrummer wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:15 am I remember, years ago, a group of people built a 2 seater with solar panels on the roof and drove across the US.
It's taken until now, for a large company with lots of money, to incorporate that design into a practical vehicle.
I suppose the next step would be to make a passenger vehicle with the same technology.
I don’t think this car has any built in solar panels, in fact at the moment I don’t think anybody has made a viable vehicle that can recharge on solar alone - there may have been experimental vehicles that proved the concept, but they are not suitable as everyday family transport for the vast majority. Maybe in years to come, new technology may make it possible.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

No, what I meant was that you put solar panels on the carport at home and in a country like Thailand with plenty of sun, it should be easy to get the sort of daily motoring that I do out of that. I rarely drive more than about 50km a day in Thailand and 150km is probably the maximum.
I remember reading somewhere that the average car journey worldwide is something like 15km and daily about 40km and that would be about what I do. To be honest, I don´t like driving and only do it out of necessity.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

In Thailand, a charging station is a place where you are charged for something.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Another interesting feature of that electric F150 truck, which might come in handy in Thailand, is that it has domestic power outlets in the front luggage space and apparently with a full battery charge it has enough power to run an average house for a couple of days.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

STEVE G wrote:Another interesting feature of that electric F150 truck, which might come in handy in Thailand, is that it has domestic power outlets in the front luggage space and apparently with a full battery charge it has enough power to run an average house for a couple of days.
Except that in Thailand they’ll probably use it to plug a TV in and watch their favourite soaps while on the move!!