(Don't) Wear a Mask Debate

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: (Don't) Wear a Mask Debate

Post by HHTel »

Wearing a mask is absolutely pointless if not covering your nose. An extra precaution would be wearing a shield to cover your eyes but mouth and nose rather than nothing.

Not pointing any fingers. There are anti-vaxers/maskers in most countries to a degree but none so much as the US where some still think that Covid doesn't exist and it's just propaganda.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Wearing a mask is pointless for YOUR protection. It does not. It is for other, IF, you are sick. That mask will not stop the virus from entering you via nose, mouth or eyes.

To think other wise, is pure ignorance. I used to be a chimney sweep, and wore a dual filter painter's respirator, and at the end of a cleaning, I'd blow my nose and it would be grey. I'd guess chimney dust is 100 X larger than a virus molecule.

Y'all believe what you want, I'll believe what I know as fact via experiences. Please tell me how that medical or cloth mask, how many you want to wear, is going to provide more protection than this:
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

I guess you were wasted as a sweep, maybe you should be Surgeon General of the mighty USA seeing as you are soooo knowledgeable.

Nice to hear from Dick Van Dyke :laugh: :laugh:
Last edited by sateeb on Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Maybe you should avoid reading & commenting on my posts.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Wearing a mask protects the wearer, and not just other people, from the coronavirus, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention emphasized in an updated scientific brief issued Tuesday. And the protective benefits of masks are stronger the more people wear masks consistently and correctly, the agency says.
Yes the main reason for wearing a mask is to protect others. However it does give limited protection to the wearer also.

Some people just refuse to accept the data.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Since this topic has the word "debate" in it, it would be good to keep it as one and not let it descend into another mud-slinging match - all view points are welcome. :thumb:

Personally, I think it is utterly pointless wearing a mask on an empty beach, or while going for a run, or while riding a motorcycle, or in your own home or car, but I don't make the ludicrous laws of this land.

I'll wear it in shops, offices, banks, stations, and where there are other people present though - if I can't avoid them which I've managed to do for the past 3 months!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

This vid maybe a year old but the maths are still relevant
Complexity is so simply overrated
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Best protection a diving suit.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Let me break it down for y'all ... science doesn't lie. 200nm particles had no problem penetrating masks. Imaging how easy a particle half that size would do.

"How large is a corona virus virion: Virions (or “particles”) of coronary viruses are spherical particles between 0.06 micron and 0.14 micron in diameter, averaging about 0.125 micron (μm)"

Coronavirus size: 125nm / 0.125 µm (0.125µm = 125nm)
Mask protection: 200nm / 0.2µm (0.2µm = 200nm)

"Surgical masks showed penetration levels of approximately 55–85% and 70–90% at flow rates of 30 and 100 liters/minute, respectively, for 300 nm particles. The most penetrating particle size (MPPS) was in the 200–500 nm range. Surgical masks were found to be less efficient compared to dust-mist (DM) and dust-mist-fume (DMF) respirators. DM and DMF respirators were classifications of particulate respirators approved under 30 CFR 11 which was superseded by the current 42 CFR 84 regulations. Subsequent studies with eight different surgical masks showed penetration levels of 15–100% and 6–100% for 200 nm and 1000 nm size particles, respectively"
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

A diving suit, glasses, close nose, oxygen tanks, you will not breath this virus, but you will look ridiculous. I wear it for entering shops, banks and...and, but I want to breath.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Wow..Copied straight from a 2009 study, or should I say plagiarized?
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

In quotes ... so obviously not plagiarized. Unless you think I was implying I actually ran the study. :roll:

Again ... please ignore me.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

KhunLA. Your post points out that masks DO have limited protection against Covid.
You're arguing against your own post.

Unbelievable.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

HHTel wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:35 pm You're arguing against your own post.
It's not unusual..... Didn't Tom sing about that? :mrgreen:

[EDIT] On the mask front, I continue to wear one when shopping (by law in Wales, not so in England). I will always carry a mask and will use in crowds etc.

A joke to see the amount of people refusing to wear a mask quite frankly, not helped by conflicting rules from Westminster - cheers Boris.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

The debate doesn't matter, opinions don't matter, the science doesn't matter. Those who want to wear a mask will, those who don't, won't.