FA CUP 2022

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: FA CUP 2022

Post by Dannie Boy »

It’s all about the memories - I can still remember watching Hereford (of the Southern League?) knocking out Newcastle back in 1972 with a Ronnie Radford thunderbolt!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Of course. I hate it because of the unnecessary bookings, sendings off, injuries and general fatigue it brings. However, it is also magical, especially when your club is but a minnow, but you somehow manage to get to the latter stages of the competition, taking some huge scalps en-route.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

What are the years of the animals you are talking about BB? I used to be a steward at the Bridge, home and away. Door Z of the old west stand was where the serous thugs gathered during the game in the wilderness yeaars, that was the end of the stand nearest the away end.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Sometime around 1975.

I wouldn't have a clue about the door number, but we used to be sited behind the goal, which was probably opposite the shed. It was there that I saw the worst violence I've ever seen anywhere (not just football). Walking back from the toilet, I had to pass a little tea hut. As I approached, a guy who had 2 kids with him was attacked. I still have the image with me of the poor guy going down spewing red stuff, which I still imagine was blood and his kids screaming. I actually thought I'd told you that story before.

Plymouth drew 2-2 that day after coming back from 2-0 down. I think Paul Mariner scored the goals. That might give you a clue to the year.

In Europe, the animals were smart - they'd bully fellow England fans into attacking opposing fans (keeping out of trouble themselves). I was never bullied in that way, but stopped travelling before my turn came around.

Points 51; Position 21
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:30 am It’s all about the memories - I can still remember watching Hereford (of the Southern League?) knocking out Newcastle back in 1972 with a Ronnie Radford thunderbolt!!
Not a huge follower of the game, but big news in Wales some years back was Wrexham beating Arsenal - more of a "lowly Welsh League team beating a top English side...." story! Don't get those much :wink: :( !

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I wonder if Chelsea are as excited :laugh:

cup.jpg
cup.jpg (179.2 KiB) Viewed 195 times

Points 51; Position 21
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:52 pm I wonder if Chelsea are as excited :laugh:
The big talking point at the moment is to do with the FA Youth Cup. Chelsea were away to Liverpool and 3-0 down after 70 minutes, yet recovered to win 4-3!

Those players not on internation duty were given a week off, I assume that ends tomorrow, so the build up will start then.
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Making picks for these matches coming up gives you a chuckle as you push random buttons having no idea what part of the country some of these teams are located in, nor their playing ability. :D :alien:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I though the pick process was fairly easy (probably got a few wrong :oops: ). Basically if its a low league team playing a team from a higher league, the higher league should win, unless its Plymouth Argyle :run:

Points 51; Position 21
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:34 pm I though the pick process was fairly easy (probably got a few wrong :oops: ). Basically if its a low league team playing a team from a higher league, the higher league should win, unless its Plymouth Argyle :run:
There's always a few upsets with the "Big Clubs" fielding basically a youth team.....

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm up at silly o'clock watching Man Utd vs Middlesbrough. They are talking about the most stupid rule change ever. If there is a handball, so long as it isn't by the goal scorer, it isn't an offence.

I'd never heard of this before, but the Middlesbrough equaliser was a blatant handball allowing the player to control the ball before playing the ball from which the goal was scored. I've always thought VAR was an arse, but maybe its the the rulebook that's ruining the game :?

Points 51; Position 21
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Another embarrassment for the pampered ponces. There's something rotten in the state of Trafford. :cuss:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, Middlesbrough looked the more likely side from the 45th minute, although I still feel the victory was unjust.

I am completely neutral if Plymouth aren't playing (and they're never going to win this competition). I just hate it when VAR and/or the ref is an Arse. Mind you, I bet it was a fantastic trip back to Teeside last night. It's what cup competitions are all about. I bet Pogba's wages alone would have paid the entire Middlesbrough team.

Points 51; Position 21
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:38 am Yes, Middlesbrough looked the more likely side from the 45th minute, although I still feel the victory was unjust.

I am completely neutral if Plymouth aren't playing (and they're never going to win this competition). I just hate it when VAR and/or the ref is an Arse. Mind you, I bet it was a fantastic trip back to Teeside last night. It's what cup competitions are all about. I bet Pogba's wages alone would have paid the entire Middlesbrough team.

Pogba is on a paltry 190,000 p/week :thumb: whereas Christine Ronaldo is on a whopping 510,000. The weekly wage of the starting 11 is 2.3 million quid.https://www.spotrac.com/epl/manchester- ... c/payroll/

The average weekly wage of a Championship player is 35 grand a week so at best that's 385,000 for Boro's starting 11.

Never gonna happen but I would introduce performance related pay which would result in many Manure players with empty pockets. :laugh: :laugh:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Don't worry, they are rebuilding, and will be back. Hopefully, it won't take as long as Liverpool.

Points 51; Position 21