Premier League 2023-24

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Premier League 2023-24

Post by caller »

Looking forward to hearing how the FA/Premier League/PGMOL and Howard Webb responds to Artetas slating.

I know the PGMOL issued a statement, but that in itself left more questions than answers.

My initial reaction was what's the point of all this technology, if the technology isn't actually able to help, as in 2 out of the 3 matters they tried to investigate after Newcastles goal, to see if it should stand.

If they couldn't make a ruling about whether the ball was in or out of play, or whether Gordon was on or offside, it does make you think what's the point? As the one they did form an opinion on was pretty half baked and ultimately was subjective. It's my subjective view it was a foul. 2 arms on the defenders back leading to 2 extended arms on the defenders back, who is pushed forward is quite a clue.

However, if Arteta had picked a goalkeeper who actually had the ability - and size - to pluck the cross out of the air, as he should have done, then VAR checks wouldn't have been necessary.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Yes quite amazing that with all the technology they still can’t make the correct decisions - as for the “was the ball out of play or not” all I can say is that it looked more over the line than did Geoff Hursts goal in the World Cup final back in 66!!
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:45 am Yes quite amazing that with all the technology they still can’t make the correct decisions - as for the “was the ball out of play or not” all I can say is that it looked more over the line than did Geoff Hursts goal in the World Cup final back in 66!!
Some of us can remember watching it live in black and white!
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Horrible seeing what happened to the arse yesterday. Bruno's red card elbow (and the five yellows throughout the game he should have got) the 'goal'. Brings the game into disrepute.

I hope it only happens to them as we move forward.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Martinez (world cup winner and golden glove winner since Arteta deemed him surplus to requirements and flogged for £16 million in 2020) would have intercepted the cross. No VAR nonsense. He's taller for one.

Self inflicted wound.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

What;s wrong with Ramsdale?

Anyway, good weekend for Spurs. Shame Luton couldn't hang on for a win, but I'll take 'pool dropping 2 points. All we have to do now is beat Chelsea. In previous years I'd have predicted a loss, but this year my fingers are firmly crossed and my glass is definitely half full!
This is the way
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:16 am Anyway, good weekend for Spurs. Shame Luton couldn't hang on for a win, but I'll take 'pool dropping 2 points.
Holy crap, I wasn't aware! I literally took a day off from the prem today. Seeing the matches, thought they'd be completely one sided. I did watch Chesterfield Vs Portsmouth FA cup on ITV.

Villa dropped points too!

I've got everything crossed for tomorrow, but the fun must come to an end some point. I've a horrible feeling Poch will do us on his return.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Lost wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:37 am I did watch Chesterfield Vs Portsmouth FA cup on ITV.
OMG you really do need a hobby! :laugh: :laugh:
This is the way
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:22 am
Lost wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:37 am I did watch Chesterfield Vs Portsmouth FA cup on ITV.
OMG you really do need a hobby! :laugh: :laugh:
Don't beat a man while he's down, DM. :laugh:

:cheers:
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

11 games into the season, it's a prem record for lowest accumulated points from the promoted sides (14). Easily beating the previous lowest combined points from Leicester, QPR and Burnley (24) in the 2014/15 season.

Straight back down?
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Biggest game so far of the season tonight for spurs. The streets are filling up. Hope agent Poch doesn't let us down. :D

If Chelsea have their shooting boots on it could be a very troubling game, they're one of the best attacking teams (creating big chances) in the prem at the mo, just can't finish. Dominated the arse until a goalkeeper error in the 77th minute.

I'm off down The Bricklayers for a quick pint with the fans before kickoff anywho. 🍺

:cheers:
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:Actually I was being more provocative (than actually claiming he was an out and out diver), but most teams have at least one player that falls over a little too often!! Anyway, I thought you’d gone into winter hibernation!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ours went to Spurs and it was never in the box as he never got the service in there

Hibernation?

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Ouch, tough one to take that. Good strong challenge but went over the ball.

We did it against Luton with 10 men. :cry:
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Romero red carded. Van De Ven pulling a hamstring. This is becoming a nightmare outing.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

A draw now would be phenomenal.