TV series worth watching/downloading

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: TV series worth watching/downloading

Post by dtaai-maai »

buksida wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:58 pm There are also new Doctor Who episodes running though it may be a little too woke for me these days.
Yes, that's one of my concerns too. I saw an interview with Russell T Davies (the writer and brains behind the relaunch seasons since 2005), and he went into some detail about how the programme has to change to reflect changes in modern society. Hence recently we've had a female and now a black Doctor (I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to use the word 'black' these days). I wouldn't mind too much, but I didn't enjoy Jodie Whitaker as the Dr, and I'm not hugely impressed by what I've seen of Ncuti Gatwat so far. There's always been an element of humour and even silliness in Dr Who, but there's a fine line between silliness and crass stupidity.

My favourite 'old' Dr was Tom Baker, and my favourite 'modern' Drs are David Tennant and Matt Smith.

I don't remember ever seeing Sylvester McCoy thankfully; no wonder the programme disappeared for 16 years after him. There was a brief appearance by Paul McGann in 1996 in a feature length episode, which apparently was well received here, but was intended to break into the US market, which it failed to do, so it was dropped. Never saw the 1996 version, so I'm downloading it now (from PB).
This is the way
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

buksida wrote:
There are also new Doctor Who episodes running though it may be a little too woke for me these days.
In that case probably no chance for Dead Boy Detectives then. Image
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

After buksida mentioned a second series of Outer Range I just binged the first series today and really enjoyed it.

Years ago I enjoyed Orphan Black, a top sci-fi series with tremendous acting from the lead actress playing multiple characters. Orphan Black: Echoes is out now. It's not a sequel as such, as the story ended at the close of the first series so I'm not sure how it will go but I'll be giving it a try.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Well, I've just finished S3 of Dark Matter. It's all subjective, of course, but for me it was excellent.

HOWEVER... the cliffhanger ending made it clear that there would be a season 4, but this never materialised. :cuss: :banghead:
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I enjoy Masterchef and I'm bingeing my way through Walking Dead, but I've just realised it's not a good idea to watch the former immediately after the latter. Steak tartare definitely loses its appeal... :shock:

(where has the vomit emoji gone?)
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 3:31 pm Well, I've just finished S3 of Dark Matter. It's all subjective, of course, but for me it was excellent.

HOWEVER... the cliffhanger ending made it clear that there would be a season 4, but this never materialised. :cuss: :banghead:
I realise I'm easily confused, but I'm still waiting for S1 Episode 4 which is out on Wednesday.... Or am I missing some "other earthly" phenomenon :?

[EDIT] Oh, OK - I now see there's another of the same name (2015-17).... :oops:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Maybe mentioned already but a good, long running series that's intelligent for the most part.

The Blacklist

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2741602/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

The second series of The Responder is sometimes dark but very human, like the first. Morgan Freeman as usual plays brilliantly as a man living in a pressure cooker environment, and the black actress who plays another police officer is superb I think. Also the late Bernard Hill's last acting role.

There's a lot of swearing, so don't watch if you can't stand to see the underbelly of life portrayed realistically.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:00 pm Maybe mentioned already but a good, long running series that's intelligent for the most part.

The Blacklist

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2741602/
Pretty sure it's been mentioned a couple of times - a fair few seasons. I really enjoyed it, but perhaps went on a Season too long. Certainly worth the watch though!!

:cheers: :cheers:
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

The new Star Wars, The Acolyte, seems like a bundle of joy. :laugh:

The writers said positively, 'it's the gayest star wars ever'

20240605_173245.jpg
20240605_173245.jpg (43.45 KiB) Viewed 228 times
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ WOKE hits Star Wars..... DM is not going to be a happy chap.... :roll:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Yes, I read that with a heavy heart... :( Has anyone been following the new Dr Who series? I watched the first episode, but I haven't returned yet.
This is the way
buksida

Post by buksida »

dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:36 pm Yes, I read that with a heavy heart... :( Has anyone been following the new Dr Who series? I watched the first episode, but I haven't returned yet.
I tried the xmas special before venturing into the latest season - turned it off after ten minutes. I guess nearly everything made on TV now is aimed at Generation 'W.'
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:36 pm Has anyone been following the new Dr Who series? I watched the first episode, but I haven't returned yet.
I'm quite enjoying them. :D

Thought the 2nd episode was the best so far.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've been watching them - still not sure. I thought this weeks was very strange.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance: