Possible to buy these meds ?

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
niggle
Guru
Guru

Possible to buy these meds ?

Post by niggle »

Anyone know if the following are available in Thailand :
Co-Codamol 30/500
Amitryptaline 25mg
Litozin

Wife uses them for arthritic pain

Thanks
Lily

Post by Lily »

Hi,
Not sure about the others but I think codeine is illegal out here as it can be addictive- at least that is what we were told when we tried to buy some in Tesco's and Boots !
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

Amitryptaline This is more commonly treatment for depression but is also used in pain relief treatment

A visit to the polyclinic would be advised as even here this will be a prescribed only substance

codeine based pain relief may also be available via the Dr's surgery on a prescription i do recall after asking for DF118's which is one of the stronger codeines available "only from Dr" was the reply

PolyClinic is opposite the mini Tesco on petchkasem rd around 100 meters from the traffic lights

Litozin may well be available over the counter here but again I would consult a GP rather than risk buying something that may not be generic and a cheap imported copy
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

Nb If you know what you are doing many Pharmacies will sell you an item if you ask for it by its generic name and not a brand name. i still would recommend a trip to the clinic to be on the safe side, they are not expensive for out patient care.
:thumb:
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

I am not sure if it is still there, but there is a good Dr's & Pharmacy on the Petchkasem rd (on way to the bus station, past the old shopping mall) on the way out of HH going towards Cha Am.

I had to get my GF some tablets that she run out of. I took the box with the name on and told him what they were for and he found some generic ones that were the same.

The Dr had a huge reference book that he could check all the info I had given him, and was all in English . That made me confident that I was getting the correct items.
The Dr himself also spoke & understood good english.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

As has been said Codeine is not legal as a prescribed over the counter drug. All opiates can only be administered by a medical professional.

The Paracetamol no problems (8 BHT for 10 * 500mg) but should not be used for lengthy periods.

Most people have found that the most effective painkillers that are available over the counter are Ibuprofen and Tramadol, analgesic. There is a brand made locally (Anadol) that sell for 25 BHT for 10 but you can pay as much as 250 BHT for ten German imports. Ibuprofen also 25 BHT for 10 * 400mg.

Dave is correct regarding Amitryptaline assuming that is anothe alternative spelling of the some drug. This is the wikipedia descripyion for unauthorized usage. No mention of arthritis.

Amitriptyline may be prescribed for other conditions such as insomnia, migraine, rebound headache, chronic pain, postherpetic neuralgia (persistent pain following a shingles attack), fibromyalgia, vulvodynia, interstitial cystitis, irritable bowel syndrome, diabetic peripheral neuropathy, neurological pain, and painful paresthesias related to multiple sclerosis and as a preventative (prophylaxis) for patients with frequent migraines. It is also used in small (10 mg) doses to act as a painkiller and ease the effects of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Typically lower dosages are required for pain modification of 10 to 50 mg daily.[1]

Litozin is designed specifically for arthritis and other joint problems as you probably already know. I am unaware of the availability or legality of it in Thailand but I am going to the pharmacy later today and I will ask.

The pharmacy I use is the one on the corner of Chomsin and Petcakasem. The fairly big Chinese guy in there speaks good English, knows his stuff and gives a fair price.

Just up the Chomsin road from there heading for the railway crossing on the same side is a Thai clinic where you will be charged 100 BHT for the prescription and they won't charge silly prices for the drugs like the polyclinic does. I think you can take the prescription back to the pharmacy if they don't have it in stock.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
niggle
Guru
Guru

Post by niggle »

Yep you are right - visited Polyclinic today - cannot prescribe anything with Codeine in Thailand. Amytrptaline no problem. Will try the recommended pharmacy tomorrow for Litosin and let everyone know how I got on