The missing item...

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Governor
Professional
Professional

Post by Governor »

On my return from my trip to the UK in January my cases contained decent wine, Francois you can get decent wine but it costs an arm and a leg, chocolate, Sainsburys red label tea, more wine, more chocolate, Branston Pickle, Piccalili, Smash, English mustard, mint sauce and copious amounts of brown sauce. I know a lot of that can be purchased in Thailand, but on walking round Sainsbury's I couldn't help myself.

The crunch came when on a night in a London hotel prior to departure I could hardly lift my cases, even a taxi driver said "good luck with that lot mate". Well I purchased some bin liners and a lot of clothing was relegated into the bin liners together with a brief case and some other non essential items, but at least I could now lift the cases. The second crunch time was at the Thai check in desk, the cases weighed 58 kgs in total and the very nice check in lady told me that I was just about ok, and I was sitting up the back - what a relief. I celebrated by purchasing two bottles of Champagne and a box of red wine in duty free, not paricularly cheap but cheaper than Thailand, and they went in my hand luggage.
Francois
Professional
Professional

Post by Francois »

Governor wrote:OI celebrated by purchasing two bottles of Champagne and a box of red wine in duty free, not paricularly cheap but cheaper than Thailand, and they went in my hand luggage.
What about a piece of fine cheddar from ??? (I don't remember the name of this shop in London where they have a fantastic choice of cheese. If I do remember, it's not that far from Covent Garden...)

For sure I will bring wine and most probably a bottle of Ricard :D
François
And me, still the most self satisfied of men
I was almost as drunk as myself
(Jacques Brel)
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

For me it would have to be a bottle of nice South Australian Shiraz.
Perfect to share over dinner and a huge variety around AUD 20.00 per bottle.
:cheers:
You only live once.
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

the advantage of PG pyramid tea bags over liptons, is that you dont need to wait 5 minutes before getting a cuppa ! and its more suited to drinking from a mug.

The shop also has PG tips decaf, but never tried them. how do they get the caffeine out ?
Governor
Professional
Professional

Post by Governor »

Francois wrote:
What about a piece of fine cheddar from ??? (I don't remember the name of this shop in London where they have a fantastic choice of cheese. If I do remember, it's not that far from Covent Garden...)

For sure I will bring wine and most probably a bottle of Ricard :D
How could I have forgotten to mention the cheese, yes I did bring some back, it came from a farm in the west country (UK), supplemented of course with some from Sainsbury?s.

Unfortunately now only a distant memory, but I will be going back in June for more supplies, oh and to go to a wedding.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

One thing that I did miss when I was in Thailand was a decent sandwich (not Subways type) with some edible fillings. Unfortunatley most of the ham or meat fillings are not what we are used to and on the whole found them to be not nice at all.

In saying that, was staying at the Sofitel and found a saving grace in the way of a steak sandwich.
Made with fresh bread (not packet) and the most tender steak. They were served in both room service and at the pool bar.

So if in need of a good Sarni, u will do worse than try the Sofitel.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
Francois
Professional
Professional

Post by Francois »

chelsea wrote:So if in need of a good Sarni, u will do worse than try the Sofitel.
I remember we had a "all you can eat" French buffet at the Sofitel. I think it's once a week on Monday (?)...
François
(Jacques Brel)
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Francois, they did have a few things like that when we were there, but did not try the French One.
All food I had there though was 1st class.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

The missing item

Post by margaretcarnes »

Funnily enough I didn't miss the cheddar much. The New Zealand black label one ain't so bad. Its the stuff like Stilton, and a nice bit of Wensleydale. Decent pickled onions as well. In over 5 years the only good pickled onions I found were at Tommys bar in Pattaya. Visitors are a tad reluctant to risk fetching them in their luggage as well, can't imagine why :roll:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

These are the things to try - maybe JD can get them for expats? Pickled onions just like mama used to make! :D

I'm a pickled onion junkie!

Talk is cheap
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

The missing item

Post by margaretcarnes »

Wow my fave onions! Yes - a good one for JD to stock :thumb:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Francois
Professional
Professional

Re: The missing item

Post by Francois »

margaretcarnes wrote:Decent pickled onions as well. In over 5 years the only good pickled onions I found were at Tommys bar in Pattaya
I got this recipe on a BB almost 10 years ago. Give it a try, thoses onions are really fantastic :thumb:

Jim's pickled onions

6 pounds Pearl onions, peeled
6 cup Salt, pickling
30 cup Water
1? cup Sugar
7? cup White wine vinegar
3 teaspoon Allspice, ground
3 teaspoon Cloves, whole
3 Bay leaf

Scald onions for 2 minutes in boiling water. Drain and place in cold water and peel. In a large bowl, stir half of the salt into half of the water until the salt has dissolved. Add the onions. Cover the bowl and leave the onions to soak for 12 hours.

Drain the onions, discard the brine and wash and dry the bowl. Dissolve the remaining salt in the remaining water and pour it over. Cover bowl and leave for a further 36 hours.

Drain onions and pack them into clean, dry preserving jars. Set aside.

In a medium sized pan, dissolve the sugar in the vinegar over low heat, stirring constantly. When the sugar has dissolved, add the allspice, cloves and bay leaf and bring the vinegar to a boil. Boil mixture for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Cover the pan and set aside to cool.

When vinegar is cool, pour it over the onions to cover them completely. Seal the jars and store them in a cool, dry place.

Ross ate them all at Jim's 40th Birthday Party! J. From: Helen Peagram Date: 09-18-94
François
(Jacques Brel)
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Francois

Think I know the cheese shop you refer to close to Covent Garden

All manner of cheeses and you can sample most before buying

I can never resist the place when in London

Used to go for a full Stilton at Christmas time. Scoop the middle out and fill with a good port

On the pickled onion front there is a good place to go to get nicely spiced Australian pickled onions

Think I must be phycic (sp) as just prior to reading this thread I demolished cheese and pickles for lunch
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Governor
Professional
Professional

Post by Governor »

If thread develops I feel there is going to be an opening for a Hua Hin branch of Weight Watchers.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Maybe we need a food and recipes thread
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.