Visa`s

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
sessachief
Amateur
Amateur

Visa`s

Post by sessachief »

Question,
Both my wife and I are over 50, we are considering Thailand and either, Hua Hin,Pattyaor chaing mai, as our "Home" in Asia.
If we want to get an over 50`s retirement visa, can we apply in England for that ?
do we have to show just over £35K in our bank.
Or do I have to put that into a Thai bank account.
Can we get that status if I am still traveling around the world, or indeed doing a bit of consultancy back in England.
Is Rental for properties in Hua Hin a reliable form of income!
To qualify for a Local golf society how long does one have to be in residence.
Does anyone have good advice on excellent Health Insurance.
Would a state pension be frozen if one got a Retirement or over 50`s visa?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

That's a load of questions. I'll just try and deal with the visa issues.
Yes, you can apply for an Non-Immigrant OA visa in the UK. Here's the link:
http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2493
You'll have to provide a police clearance certificate from the UK and have a health check - beware of leprosy? Neither of those checks are necessary if you apply for an extension in Thailand.
The plus points are that you'll get a "one year permitted to stay stamp" when you enter Thailand and you only have to report to Imm every 90 days.
A bit of advice, if I can, would be to get a multiple-entry Non OA, it'll cost you a bit more, but if you leave Thailand on a border run a day before the visa expires, you'll get another year upon re-entry. The visa thus works for almost two years.
The Thai bank account thing only applies if you're looking for an extension, based on retirement, within Thailand. Then the 800k Baht has to be in a Thai bank account continuously for 3 months before applying - and be there if and when the application is accepted.
I'll leave the rest of the questions for others to comment on.
niggle
Guru
Guru

Post by niggle »

You would need to apply for a multi entry visa,
There are large amounts of property for rental / sale in HH. Bear this in mind as getting a tenant is up for some stiff competition.
Serch the net for expat health insurance and remember you get what you pay for.
State pension is payable at 65. so youve got a bit to go yet. The UK state pension is paid at that time and continues at the same rate - that is no annual increases unless you move back to the UK, then you get the current rate. Other than that it is unaffected by wherever you live
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Visa`s

Post by dtaai-maai »

sessachief wrote:Can we get that status if I am still traveling around the world, or indeed doing a bit of consultancy back in England.
To qualify for a Local golf society how long does one have to be in residence.
Does anyone have good advice on excellent Health Insurance.
If you have a multiple entry visa, as lomu suggested, you can come and go as often as you like, for as long as you like each time. If you have a retirement visa, you can't work in Thailand. Obviously that doesn't stop you working anywhere else. If you don't have a mult entry visa, you'll have to apply for a re-entry permit each time you leave Thailand. Expensive and inconvenient.

Golf? I think length of residence is irrelevant, but other will no more.
There are dozens of helpful suggestions on health insurance in the Health section
This is the way
sessachief
Amateur
Amateur

visa`s

Post by sessachief »

Good Info thank you .
Multiple entry is the way forward then,and once I have decided enough work is enough. then that will be it, although i would want to keep my mind busy.
Health insurance is not over clear in the other posts.
But our three weeks in Hua Hin and Thailand before , allowed me to lose weight and feel much much healthier !
Yes we will rent for a bit before buying and see what area we like best.
Perhaps when we intend are next visit, a glass could be shared in local watering hole !
Ralphsandbag

OA Visa

Post by Ralphsandbag »

Hi
The Thai Embassy in London is the place to go. Applications only in person takes two days to clear your forms....
Beware the Police Cert takes up to 42 DAYS....
All documents to be Notorised at a proffesional deptartment, not by someone who thinks he is authorised.
All documents must be within a few days of each other. Bank Statements are not liked if you down load from your computer, go to your bank for these.
Not sure about your 34,000 pounds, should be a lot less than that, but it is better to be over as under will not be accepted...
go to link...
www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk
This will give you directions/times of opening/telephone numbers. They are very very helpful people, (once you get through on the phone)
The forms you need for the Embassy can be download from their site.
All applications must appear in person ..... After that, to pick up your passports 2 days later only requires one person. (with the receipt) which they will give you....
Hope this helps somewhat. anything else pm me...
Cheers Ralph
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

Id use the consular offices in Hull or Birmingham long before wandering down to the London embassy. The one in Brum is 10 minutes easy walk from New Street Station.

Same day turnaround on visas (actually within 20 minutes of them getting the docs if you go in person...seems to be true from multi entry and non imm O's and B's too). 2 day for postal applications.

Helpful and friendly...

Link to Birmingham consular page is http://www.thailand-visa.com/

....which is not my experience of the London embassy.....which was more like this - :banghead:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
sessachief
Amateur
Amateur

Visa`s

Post by sessachief »

Thank you again, I am actually just outside London, so I could combine it with a visit to theatre or cinema. As for CRB check, I think i have already got one of those from a few years ago.
My wife does not, so if we get them done within a couple of months of our intended long visit, rather than a year or two in advance.
That would seem most sensible.
As a matter of interest, does Sky sports etc cost a lot, or do people gather at a local watering hole. Sadly i am more a rugby man that football.
and will be looking for some tennis partners in due course.
Both my wife an I loved the massages, so the body should keep going longer !
We are hoping to return end of June for three weeks, just to see different aspect of the place
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Sandman, I didn’t realise it was possible to get a visa over the counter in Birmingham, seeing as I sometimes visit family in Nottingham I shall keep that in mind. Normally I stay less than thirty days a visit, but that is not always the case.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Just a heads up here. I'm almost certain that it's only The Thai Embassy in London who can issue Non Imm OA. Consulates can do a multi-entry Non O, but that's a different type of visa.
Also, be careful of how recent your police check is. I'm pretty sure that The Embassy won't be interested in documents that are a few years old.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

The main two golf societies ( Hua Hin Golf Society and Butterfly Rock Golf Club) like to have members as residents and evidence this with at least 6 month rental agreements or the purchase of a property.
There are other requirements which are spelled out in their application forms. PET
Ralphsandbag

Visa

Post by Ralphsandbag »

sandman67 wrote:Id use the consular offices in Hull or Birmingham long before wandering down to the London embassy. The one in Brum is 10 minutes easy walk from New Street Station.

Same day turnaround on visas (actually within 20 minutes of them getting the docs if you go in person...seems to be true from multi entry and non imm O's and B's too). 2 day for postal applications.

Helpful and friendly...

Link to Birmingham consular page is http://www.thailand-visa.com/

....which is not my experience of the London embassy.....which was more like this - :banghead:

Lomuart is correct on 2 fronts......Sandman you are totally wrong in connection with the OA Visa, correct on other Types, of Visa...
CRB checkes must be only weeks old not months........
On personal experience, as I said before you must appear in person At the London Embassy for OA Visa. You must have all your paperwork and facts in order for a smooth process, (telephone them if not sure) as I and several other friends have done, Not sure how you got it wrong Sandman ????
Cheers Ralph
sessachief
Amateur
Amateur

Visa info

Post by sessachief »

Really useful information both on the golf front and visa issues.
Can you tell me if there is a good friendly tennis club in Hua Hin?
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

hi sessachief,
To qualify for a Local golf society how long does one have to be in residence
as PET said below the two main golf societies may not be too easy to get into straight away, but there also several other smaller more informal societies in town, made up of friends who operate more on a fun basis.

there's also some great, relatively in-expensive golf pro's in town who give lessons
i will PM you details of societies and lessons if youre interested

i play out here quite a bit with an ex-pro from essex, most useful thing he taught me was to keep my disco foot down when im looking at the ball :D

good luck mate,
HuaHinR

Post by HuaHinR »

Sorry to sound slow-witted, but I find it all very confusing. What is the difference between a "retirement visa" (an "immigration visa" as I understand it, meaning what? - that the bearer intends to live here relatively full-time and relatively permanently?) and an "OA non-immigration visa"?

I'd like a visa that would allow me to come and go pretty much as I please, i.e., without ducking out of the country every couple of months (I now hold a "non-immigration tourist visa, three entries, two months stay each entry), but am not yet sure I want to live here year-round.. . . perhaps just spend six to eight months (or more?) a year here and anywhere from several weeks to several months back in the US.

I'm told with a "retirement visa" you have to get an "exit visa" from immigration in order to leave Thailand? I do know that visa requires a check in with immigration every 90 days, and that doesn't seem too onerous.

It hasn't been 100% clear to me, incidentally, that some of the websites usually recommended are completely up to date (and often they don't fully explain all the differences, at least to my satisfaction). Even in this forum seemingly knowledgeable longtime residents seem to disagree occasionally on the specifics.

I know this is a lot, but I'd appreciate any clarification.