Expensive in Hua Hin ??

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
peter-pan
Amateur
Amateur

Expensive in Hua Hin ??

Post by peter-pan »

Hiya,
I noticed while trawling through the pages in general Car Hire, Golf Fees,
Boat Trips are all about in the Bhat 2000 range.

At about 57 Bhat to the UK £ this is around the £30 mark and these are a
ways higher than UK prices. On one of the Golf pages it mentioned that a days outing with lessons and food can cost up to 5000Bhat !! I think the Pro wears a mask !!

Does the normal day to day expences seem high to the expat community or are these prices above only for the holiday persons??

PP
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

If you live like a Thai eating cheap Thai food, drinking beer Chang and Laocao (Issan whiskey) and enjoying the heat without air conditioning, riding a motor bike or taking a motor bike taxi everywhere you want to go and don't need many other modern conveniences, making your recreation free walks on the beach, it's cheap.

If you want to live a western lifestyle with all the comfort and convenience you are probably used to it is expensive, in many cases more expensive than the U.S. (can't speak for other countries).
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

hhfarang wrote:If you want to live a western lifestyle with all the comfort and convenience you are probably used to it is expensive, in many cases more expensive than the U.S.
:rasta: :run:

SJ
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Expensive in Hua Hin ??

Post by Super Joe »

peter-pan wrote:Hiya,
I noticed while trawling through the pages in general Car Hire, Golf Fees,
Boat Trips are all about in the Bhat 2000 range.
Hi Peter, car hire for a mid-sized saloon type car is 800-1000B/day.
On one of the Golf pages it mentioned that a days outing with lessons and food can cost up to 5000Bhat !! I think the Pro wears a mask !!
88 quid expensive ? for a days outing at a top course, with lessons from a Pro, green fees, transport, caddy, food etc .... how much would that be in the UK ?

The golf pro who is a sponsor on HHAD, a P.G.A. professional, is well worth the money just a few lessons corrected so much stuff I was doing wrong, and was a privelege to have a round with him. He's also informal and makes it a fun experience even if you're a complete donut at golf like me:
http://www.huahinafterdark.com/hua-hin- ... uition.htm

Good luck,

SJ
beachyhead

Post by beachyhead »

I like many other people I moved to Thailand as it gives me the opportunity to retire 15 years earlier than I could in the UK but I have to live on a budget. I find it is to easy to forget just how expensive some things are in Thailand and with the Baht hitting around the 50 to the pound mark, made me realize all the more. I always multiply the Thai cost by 4 as I am trying to live here at 25% of the cost of the UK and then I decide is it worth it. I know this isn't a perfect solution as I save on no council tax etc but it makes me stop and think. For example, I always bought a pack of Bacon on my Saturday shop in Tesco, Sunday morning eggs and bacon, bacon sarnie etc but when the Baht hit 50 and a packet of bacon was 198 Bt, that's four pounds, I wouldn't pay that in the UK and if I times that by 4, well you get the idea.
There is only two things wrong with a woman, her face !
buksida

Post by buksida »

The term 'expensive' is all relative, yes Hua Hin is more expensive than other places in Thailand, the golf is a good example:

A round on a good course in Hua Hin is 2,500 baht.

A round on a good course in Ratchaburi is 600 baht.

And then you have the other side of it with a round on a good course in Phuket at 4,000 baht.

Its all relative, and that's without comparing it to the west, its also relative to your financial situation, what is expensive for some will be cheap for others. In answer to your second question most local businesses don't know the difference between expats and holiday makers so we all pay the same.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
valrhona

Post by valrhona »

Relative is right... It's true that within Thailand, you can find very nice golf courses for half the price you can in Hua Hin or twice the price if you go to Phuket.

If you take a quick look at tournament quality courses in most western countries, you'll be hard pressed to find one for 2500Baht. The nice ones I often played in Canada are all around 100$ or more now. Sure I can find cheap ones but they are not in touristy areas and not up to par with something like Black Mountain. You look at places like the Dominican Republic which is also a developing country and the courses are all over 100USD, same with Bali in Indonesia. Why should it be any different in Thailand?

They are businesses out to make money and while the market can support it...Why shouldn't they charge what they can. If we don't like it, we take our money elsewhere. Personally, I think that playing a course like Black Mountain for 1500Baht is excellent value anywhere in the world and 2500Baht is reasonably fair. Majestic Creek or Hua Hin on the other hand, that's another story...
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Basically, "Yes", it's expensive compared to many places here but then so is everywhere that is next to a beach with the kind of infrastructure and options that HH has. Also worth remembering that it is also full of Bangkok Thais having their weekend break like westerners do in Brighton etc in the UK. There are many places that are the same along the coast here.

Even if you are loaded with cash then it is still expensive, it's just you don't give a sh*t about it. Compared to most places in LOS, then the beach resorts like HH are a bit "steep" because all and sundry know the score and can get away with it but, still, compared to the west, it's still a good deal in mosts eyes and the Thais know it. However, the Thai holiday weekend wonders from Bangkok get the same treatment and have to pay too. If you live there then you learn to have what you want without being ripped-off after a while.

As MrB said, it's all relative and there are variables, depends what floats your boat, or your wallet. :wink:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Agree, 'relative' is the key point here.

Hua Hin is arguably 1 of the top 5 locations in the country, as well as being the Royal's location, a tourist beach resort, a weekend retreat for the wealthiest Thais and within a few hours of the countries capital.
Even if it's 5th in that list (3rd IMO) after Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, & Samui, related to the cost of living within a few km's of a town centre/beach front of the top 5 locations in many Western countries, I don't think we're doing too bad cost of living wise.

It's lacking in important areas like schools, hospitals and an airport service to the region, but reckon that will come when the town is more developed and there are the numbers here.

:cheers:
SJ
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I moved here from Boca Raton which is a similar resort area on the south east coast of Florida between Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale. I played golf there at 30 or 40 different good quality courses over the four years I lived there and owned a home about the same size as the one I have here with about the same amenities.

Comparing apples to apples, living there was approximately the same cost of living as here with a couple of exceptions. Health care was a lot more expensive and property taxes were a lot more than here. Eating a western meal out was about the same price. Electricity (even with two large central air units that cooled the entire house there, instead of the eight individual units with only one running at a time here) costs me more here. Water is about the same but I do have a much larger garden here. Golf was cheaper in Florida. I played very well maintained and designed courses for 45 USD in season and 25 USD out of season. That's about half the average Hua Hin prices. Automobiles and name brand personal electronics were a lot cheaper there than in Thailand in general.

I could have paid off my mortgage there for less than I paid to build my house here and retired in place on the same pension with about the same (or better) lifestyle than I have here.

As Buksi said, it's all relative. It may be cheaper here than in many European countries but I'm not seeing any big difference from a lot of places in the U.S. unless you are willing to lower your standard of living.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

As you said earlier HH, to benefit from living in Thailand you gain much more if you can enjoy the Thai lifestyle.
We find some of the best food around in local beach restaurants and when I'm here I eat out at least once a day and sometimes twice.
Back in Europe I eat out about once a month as it's so expensive.
I don't play golf and I spend days sitting at local beach restaurants or I go out cycling and so actually spend very little.
The cost of my rented house here is also a fraction of what you would pay to rent in a European beach resort of comparative standing.(Cannes, not Skegness!)
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

HHF, aren't the property prices there about 4x the cost of Hua Hin, relative distance to beach, size, pool etc ? Seems the extra mortgage payments alone would be about twice the average farang's monthly living costs here.

Wouldn't the property tax and home insurance be about 25% of the average farang's monthly living costs here ?

SJ
twiggy
Rookie
Rookie

Expensive in Hua Hin

Post by twiggy »

Hi.

As my friend always say, you can use a lot if you will live at western style, or very cheap if you choose to live the thai way.

I live in an expensive condo..have UBC (gold now after BBC entertainment went) and 1170 pr. month for my line at TT&T, and a yearly commen cost at the condo 25.000.

Still I don't use more than 15.000 a month, included expences for my 1 year visa and food.

That is 20 percent og my pension, and could never had the same standard of liveing i Norway for that money.

But I don't play golf, and do most of my cooking at home, because after a while I get tired of going out for dinner. Lunch at the beach cost less than 100, and that place has the best food in town IMO.

BTW, yday I went for confirmation for my pensjon to the Norwegian Embassy. The cost for that is now 1100, down from 1900, if I'm not wrong. FYI to you norwegians.

All numberers are in baht.

Twiggy

ps. if you pay for 1 year to TT&T, you get 10 percent discount.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

HHF, aren't the property prices there about 4x the cost of Hua Hin, relative distance to beach, size, pool etc ? Seems the extra mortgage payments alone would be about twice the average farang's monthly living costs here.
No, I was about two miles from the beach (a much nicer beach I might add). I'm about half that distance here but if you're not on the beach the difference of one or two miles is not that much. As I said the cost of my home here was approximately the same as I paid for my home there (same size) so I could have paid off the remainder of my mortgage and owned the home outright just like I do here for much less than it cost me to move here and build a new one. The only other difference is that my yard (garden, or land size) is twice the size here. I really don't need the extra garden size as it's really a liability as far as upkeep goes.
Wouldn't the property tax and home insurance be about 25% of the average farang's monthly living costs here ?
My property taxes there were much more than here, not as much as you suggest though. Mine were $300 USD per month on a $300k+ home... about the cost of 3 rounds of golf here so with the cheaper golf there, that could even out, and yes, home insurance was also about $200 per month there, but is not required if you don't have a mortgage. I don't have home insurance here so I might not have it there if money was tight.

I still think, all in all, I could have stayed in Florida and had at least as good, if not a better life style than I have here at the same cost (health care would have been a problem though, but maybe not for long if Obama gets his way). :D :D :D
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

hhfarang wrote:No, I was about two miles from the beach (a much nicer beach I might add). I'm about half that distance here but if you're not on the beach the difference of one or two miles is not that much. As I said the cost of my home here was approximately the same as I paid for my home there
I looked on a BR real estate site and villa's seemed to be around 250k USD 15kms from beach, but around 400-500k USD within 5kms of beach, with garden, pool etc. The same here within 5kms is around 125-150k USD.
To be fair the quality must better there, so we're not comparing apples for apples in that respect.
My property taxes there were much more than here, not as much as you suggest though. Mine were $300 USD per month on a $300k+ home... about the cost of 3 rounds of golf here so with the cheaper golf there, that could even out, and yes, home insurance was also about $200 per month there, but is not required if you don't have a mortgage.
That's a fair old whack mate, about 35% of many farangs 50k Baht monthly outgoings here.

Looks much nicer there mind, if it had the ladies :wink:

SJ