Elephant Treking

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Big Boy

Elephant Treking

Post by Big Boy »

I have some family arriving early next month, and one of their 'must dos' is going for a proper ride on an elephant. Can somebody please advise the best place to take them in the Hua Hin area?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
shellyball
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Elephant Treking

Post by shellyball »

Take them to the winery, free shuttle from villa market, great food, beautiful views, tasty wine and 2 beautiful elephants to go around the winery, I took my friend when he came, was a brilliant afternoon out ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Will the elephants definitely be there? I've been to the vineyard a couple of times, but the elephants were only there the first time.

Points 51; Position 21
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

What about the place up Pala-u road on the right?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
shellyball
Amateur
Amateur

Post by shellyball »

I think the Elephants are always there, just ask the staff, they have a hut at the bottom of the vineyard where they live, not sure about the other place.

it's just such a beautiful place, so relaxing on the deck, you can feed them pineapples after as well, the guys are great taking pictures all the way making sure your happy with your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

I am sure that there were some at the winery when we went there. They were away from the wine building, did not see how many.
I just Googled it...what about Hua Hin Safari & Adventure - Elephant Village? Don't know anything about it, but looks worth looking in to. They also have snakes & Crocs :P

http://www.huahinsafari.com/elephanttre ... eking.html

Anyway this is a lovely little youtube clip!

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I went to the elephant village years ago - once. Pretty shocked about the way the elephants were chained up.
Talk is cheap
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

caller wrote:I went to the elephant village years ago - once. Pretty shocked about the way the elephants were chained up.
Yes, we were there a couple of years back and had the same opinion.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

caller wrote:I went to the elephant village years ago - once. Pretty shocked about the way the elephants were chained up.
Well I have not been to any villages or ridden any elephants, not really my thing. I have just done a bit of research. Now I suggest it should not be supported at all. I am for animals being kept in a good environment .
I have just read this ( please read to following link) so will not support this sort of tourist "attraction" :cry: :

http://expertvagabond.com/elephants-in-thailand/
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

I feel if the elephants and other animals are well cared for it's not a problem. Quite simply we all have to earn our keep, I don't expect elephants will be kept as pets. Only give Patronage to the ethically run establishments.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks for responses. I'm not saying that I condone elephant trekking, but it's something that people coming to Thailand have read about, and they want to do. A bit like going to Paris and wanting to go up the Eiffel Tower, or going to Blackpool and riding a donkey. People do it once, and they are happy.

I've tried to point my relatives towards Hutsadin, which is an elephant care centre, and people go there to work with the elephants rather than ride them; although I think a short ride is permissible. However, a trek is what they're specifying.

I've only done one trek in Hua Hin, and that would have been 15 years ago - I don't think that place even exists anymore. I actually hate riding elephants, and only ever did it for my son when he was younger.

To me, a decent trek should take you through some rural country and preferably across a river, or at least through a lake. I was hoping that somebody could reflect on what the local elephant places offered with their treks.

- When I saw the elephants at the vineyard, they did go through a river, but not with passengers on board. IMHO a serene ride, with no white knuckle element :wink:

- I've heard the Hua Hin Safari charges for a lot more than just elephants, so you have to pay for more than what you need.

- Has anybody tried the elephant ride close to Hutsadin?

- Does anybody know of others, and more importantly, have you tried them? Were they fun? Were the elephants well treated? Would you recommend the trip?

Points 51; Position 21
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just checked the vineyard website, where it states:
Dear Guests,
Please be informed that the elephant ride service is currently not available. We are working on a new contract and will update you again shortly.
So I wasn't imagining it :wink:

Points 51; Position 21
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

Post by zeitgeist »

I recently visited Hua Hin Safari, there is lots of elephants for riding, they go around the local area, so up and down hills, there is a river in the area but I don't know if they go through it.

Be warned though, its an expensive place. To see all the shows (elephant, snake and crocodile) its over 2,000 baht not including any elephant trekking. I don't know if you can just do the elephant riding and not pay to see at least 1 show.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:Thanks for responses. I'm not saying that I condone elephant trekking, but it's something that people coming to Thailand have read about, and they want to do. A bit like going to Paris and wanting to go up the Eiffel Tower, or going to Blackpool and riding a donkey. People do it once, and they are happy.
Maybe you could try to explain to your friends that the vast majority of elephants provided at tourist attractions have been subject to torture to get them to perform - maybe they might think twice then about going trekking?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Been there, hence me trying to push the Hutsadin thing. However, its a bit like buying replica football shirts - people don't want their illusions spoilt - sweatshops or torture. If they don't see it, it doesn't happen.

Points 51; Position 21