Worst Premiership Pitch?

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.

Is the Chelsea pitch acceptable at Premiership level?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:15 am

Yes I am a Chelsea fan so it is acceptable
67%
No it is completely unacceptable so Chelsea can never be regarded as the 'true' Champions
33%

Total votes: 3

Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Worst Premiership Pitch?

Post by Wanderlust »

Having just watched the Chelsea - Liverpool match, I have to say that it amazes me that a football club with so much money cannot produce a pitch that is even League One standard, let alone fit for Premiership football. The only other pitch I have seen in the top league this season as bad was Portsmouth but they are only recently rich so are excused. I can only think that Chelsea have deliberately produced a pitch to prevent their opponents tonight playing the game that would beat them - this is acceptable in cricket apparently but I don't think it is acceptable when spectators are paying about 40 quid a ticket. Chelsea are the new 'Tractor Boys' by the look of it! :twisted:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Can't argue about the poor state of the pitch, but I would question who gains from it?

A few clubs now re-lay their pitches mid season, the problem appears to be lack of light or whatever due to the size and "closeness" of the new stadiums. Last season Chelsea did put down a new pitch mid season, but I guess its determined by the length of a period when not playing at home?

Its just not that its poor, its how quickly it has deteriorated which is odd! If we were in a different age and Tommy Docherty was the manager, and we had loads of injuries, with a european cup game coming up, then with the help of the local fire station I could understand it, but now........?

Still, as its only been for a few games, and we play away as well, I can't see it makes a great difference.

However, lets see what its like on Wednesday, when we play the other scousers. If its a lot better, then maybe there is some substance in what you are saying?

Good win though!!! :)
Talk is cheap
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

One of the TV Pundits did mention the same fact when I was watching the last league game against Charlton, but have not heard any of the other managers or teams complain as yet (only supporters of teams looking for any old excuse after loosing there).

People tend to forget when asking these sort of questions, that there are two teams playing on the same pitch, if it was that bad, surely we would have heard more complaints by now.

If the pitch was that bad and affecting the Chelsea teams performance, I am sure that something would have been done about it. But as we have only dropped one point at home this season, it can't be that bad can it.

After performing so well on the same pitch all year, they would be mad to change it now (just because people are running out of things to slag Chelsea about), especially with the game against Barcalona coming up.

And as for Chelsea being the new 'Tractor Boys" I have no idea where that one comes from, someone may try to explain that to everyone.

Anyway after scoring the most goals in the league this year and conceding the least as well, consistently good teams will always end up winners (and by the looks of it, barring an absolute miricale it looks like being us again), so boys and girls get used to it.
:twisted: :cheers: :cheers:
Keep the Blue Flag Flying High
tuktukmike
Guru
Guru

Post by tuktukmike »

I watched the aftermatch interview with Benitez, he in fact never mentioned
the pitch.

To be fair we had a good goal disallowed when the player was clearly on-side, and the match experts after also said Liverpool apart from a brief spell in the first half were never in the game.

As for the pitch, it is tosh to say that we or anyone else would gain as its the same for both teams, by the way have you never heard of premiership clubs narrowing the pitch.

The reality quite clearly was that the best team won and you could see that in Gerrards face at the end. (wish i joined chelsea)

Benetez only real gripe was the sending off of his goalkeeper, what he failed to realise was the match was already over as a contest by then.

Funny thing is its the first time i can remember having United supporters cheering us on.

Just remember, Blue is the Colour, :cheers:

Mike.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

The special one (Jose) as always has the answer to anyones comments, he had this to say in the UK papers today in response to the criticism of the pitch.
"The state of our pitch wouldn’t have affected Liverpool because with their game the ball is in the air most of the time".
P :twisted: :twisted: :cheers: :cheers:
tuktukmike
Guru
Guru

Post by tuktukmike »

Chelsea,

Great response,

"The state of our pitch wouldn’t have affected Liverpool because with their game the ball is in the air most of the time".

Am i happy today or What.

I even shared some beers with United fans, what a great night,

:cheers:

Mike.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Yes Mike, I thought it was a great one as well. The special one has not been in England for that long, but he has learnt the art of piss taking very very quickly.
Have not seen the game yet, as it was only on cable and there is nothing close to me open at midnight where I can see the game.
They normally replay the games here on cable about 6pm tonight, so will give to a good excuse to stop working and enjoy a few well earned pints of Stella.
Cannot wait for the Barcalona game to come up, that will at least give us a good pointer on how much we really have improved from last season. Although it is going to be hard to beat the game last year when w triumphed 4-2 when everyone other than Chelsea fans thought we would get thoroughly beaten.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

chelsea,
The term 'Tractor Boys' is in fact the nickname of ipswich Town FC, and was intended as a humurous reference to all the ruts and furrows apparent on the Stamford Bridge playing surface.
To all the other responders,
I am not a Liverpool or a Chelsea fan, but I am a lover of the beautiful game, and I would be mightily hacked off to have paid through the nose to see football on a surface like that, in what is supposed to be the pinnacle of the sport. In terms of Mourinho's comments, yes, very clever, except of course that Liverpool have been known for a long time as a 'pass and move' team, and doing it at speed - the state of this pitch did not allow that sort of football, and is probably the reason they had to resort to putting it in the air! In terms of the actual game Liverpool's lack of an out and out goalscorer (hence the signing of Fowler) was evident, plus Benitez's baffling set piece defensive strategy, which led to the win for Chelsea. Chelsea's football is successful but hardly attractive, and I think it is not only a shame but ultimately could kill the game as a spectacle. On a side note is it a sign of age when linesmen look about 13? :mrgreen:
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

As I said, I did not see the game, so cannot comment on the state of the "Ruts" and "Furrows" in the pitch.
For all you Liverpool fans, if you happen to have to play at the Bridge again this year in either the Champions League or the FA Cup, what we will do to assist, is to put arrows on each end of the "Ruts" and "Furrows" (pointing towards the goals) and paint them white.
Robbie Fowler should have a field day (if he is fit again) as we are all aware of his loving for anything to do with little white lines.
:twisted: :twisted:
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Worst Premiership Pitch?

Post by Guess »

Wanderlust wrote:Having just watched the Chelsea - Liverpool match,
And I hoped you enjoyed it. I did not make a vote to the loaded question for obvious reasons.

Two reasons that stand out to me as to why the Chelsea pitch has become in such an (apparently) poor condition is:

1. Soccer is played on it. At Stamford Bridge the players tend to run about ,tackle the oponents to get possession, continuall manouvre for optimum than standing around like a load of fairies waiting for someone to pass them the ball.

2. As Chelsea have progressed in many competitions they have had to play even more soccer on the pitch than some other teams.

BTW the new furrow was made by the Liverpool goalkeeper attacking Gudjohnsen with such ferrocity that it left the generally Vertical Viking in an untypical horizontal position.

Liverpool played very well for the first quarter of the match (on a terrible rutted and furrowed pitch) but looked seriously outclassed for the rest of the game.

I am sure Chelsea will spend money at the end of the season on a new drainage system or whatever it is they need. It is a bit difficult mid- season especially when the next round of the Euopean Champions League is coming up shortly as well.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Wanderlust.

You're not getting old - the linesman was 13!

Actually as an ex-class 1 ref, I was curious at how young he was. To get to that level at so young an age means a dedication to reffing, not playing. That means giving up a lot of time to the lost art.

I was ambitious once, but gave up when tiring of taking a kit bag to work on the expectation of getting a call asking me to go to x that night as the ref/linesman has cried off - I simply stopped enjoying it - you had to do that to get on. I even know of refs who have moved as (then) certain local FA's provided more league refs than others. I'm not involved at all now, but I hope its changed.

I once believed that you had to have played the game, even at a low level (me) to understand what its all about, but as for many years the UK (and I mean that rather than just England) has had such a poor standard - as demonstrated by the lack of our refs at Euro and World cups, although they regularly officiate in club european competition - that I'm beginning to change my mind. So maybe the 13 year old is the way forward?

Anyone herad of the excerpt from Jeff Winters book where he talks about holding up his last game at Anfield before retiring, until he could blow up at the kop end (now, thats a way to bow out!). He recalls the Kops cheer was louder than normal and guessed, as knoweldgable footie fans, it was in honour of his last appearance! That says all you need to know about the current state of reffing. They shouldn't have even noticed him. That would have been a good game.

Anyway, back on topic re: the pitch and Liverpools style of play, Sam Allerdyce said the other week that Bolton get labelled as playing the long ball, whereas Liverpool play the long pass!!! Great line.
Talk is cheap
Mart

Post by Mart »

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

So Rogan Taylor is now a Dr. - interesting? He could be right about the hard core of CFC fans but he might do well to refer to Desmond Morris's "the football tribe", which in itself, to paraphrase Monty Python (or its many earlier versions) states, `the bleeding obvious'.

Sad that a scouser - even honorary(?) - demonstrates such a lack of understanding of London, its demography and football support. Kenny Samson lived it and sums it up far better.

At the time that LFC were having their mainly Scottish influenced longevity of success, I was watching CFC fail all over the Country, including at both Anfield and Goodison (BTW, Stanley Park was renowned for its link to something other than grass, but the press never publicised that).

Sounds like jealous bullshit to me.
Talk is cheap
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

I see that Barcelona are already making excuses for their imminent defeat at the hands of the Blues. They are expressing a concern regarding the state of the pitch already without actually seeing it. The simple fact is though that is the same for both sides and as the match is over two legs what is the problem.They should look at the bonuses of it and realise that their players can take a dive and blaim it on the pitch if the referee spots is.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

their players can take a dive and blaim it on the pitch if the referee spots is.
Is that what Arjen Robben did then? :wink: