Finance requirements for long stay visa

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
jungle

Finance requirements for long stay visa

Post by jungle »

Can any one advise me on the amount of cash a couple need in a thai bank as a requirement for the long stay visa. I thought it was 800,000 per couple. But 2 people have told me that my wife and I would each need 800,000 baht is this correct.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Finance requirements for long stay visa

Post by HHTel »

As far as I'm aware, the rules changed so that each partner needs to qualify:

BANGKOK: -- The Thai Immigration Bureau has announced that the foreign wives of expats with a one-year retirement visa will in future need their own separate pension income or cash in a Thai bank.
In the past, these wives have been able to “join” their husband’s visa by simply showing a marriage certificate and a current non-immigrant visa in their passport. It was not necessary for both partners to show their own income or cash.
Under the revised guidelines, both foreign partners in a marriage will separately need to demonstrate yearly income in the first country of at least 800,000 baht equivalent or maintain separate bank accounts of the same minimum amount, or provide a combination of both.
Letters from an embassy are still required as proof of the income whilst the 800,000 baht in a Thai bank must have been there for three months prior to the application (2 months 1st application) and be supported by a letter from that financial institution.
The toughening up of the rules on retirement visas is believed to have been caused by concerns that some farang-farang marriages are not genuine or may have broken up.
The requirement for each partner to show evidence of 800,000 baht in cash or income, or a combination of both, is seen as the best guarantee from an Immigration Bureau viewpoint. Nor is it possible for a married couple to present a joint bank account. Each partner is now treated as a separate entity.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Do you have a more precise source for the above, HHTel?
There was certainly a move towards the separate financial requirements last year but I believe the law was never enacted.
If this has become law, then it's passed me by. Mind you, things sometimes do.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The following thread refers to this question. If you open the link there is an explanation from Immigration in Phuket. As far as I know nothing has changed.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25407&hilit=married ... k&start=15
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

This is from the 'Ministry of Foreign Affairs' website. Bear in mind that the link given in Nereus's post was in 2013.

- In the case where the accompanying spouse is not eligible to apply for the Category ‘O-A’ (Long Stay) visa, he or she will be considered for temporary stay under Category ‘O’ visa. A marriage certificate must be provided as evidence and should be notarised by notary organs or by the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission.
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

HHTel wrote:This is from the 'Ministry of Foreign Affairs' website. Bear in mind that the link given in Nereus's post was in 2013.

- In the case where the accompanying spouse is not eligible to apply for the Category ‘O-A’ (Long Stay) visa, he or she will be considered for temporary stay under Category ‘O’ visa. A marriage certificate must be provided as evidence and should be notarised by notary organs or by the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission.
This is correct. We have translated several marriage certificates and certified same in recent times to achieve this.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Can the OP clarify whether the spouse wants a long term visa, ie OA or an extension to a visa.
I'm pretty certain that that will make a difference.
Edit It seems that I have read the OP wrongly.
So, visa or extension to it?
jungle

Post by jungle »

Me and the wife would want OA visa, although it will be around a year from now and I understand things could all change again with the rules but we would come with O visa and change while in Hua Hin.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

An O or an OA visa are of a Non Immigrant variety. They are obtainable outside of Thailand. Visas are issued at Thai Embassies or consulates. Therefore outside of Thailand. Visa are simply invitations/permission to enter a country. (Under certain circumstances you can upgrade visas within country but from what you've said that won't be necessary for you).
Once you have entered, you are given a permission to stay date which takes precedence over the visa's validity.
If you want to extend that permission to stay date, then you can do so as long as you qualify. Ie - over 50 with 800K THB in a Thai bank account or 65K THB a month overseas income or a combination of the two as long as the total is over 800K THB.
How long do you want to stay in Thailand? Permanently? If so, you just need a Non Immigrant visa, either O or OA. The only difference between the two is how long you're permitted to stay on entry - "O" visa will give you 90 days, OA will give you a year. If you wish to extend that stay then you can do so off either. It makes no difference.
What you can't do is change from an O to an OA visa within Thailand but it dosn't matter from an extension point of view.
Tell us a bit more about your intended stay and we'll be able to advise more precisely.
jungle

Post by jungle »

Thanks for the help guys. I asked this question some time ago and I thought I had it sussed but not so sure. We are both British and are living in Korea (was Singapore last time.) we have a home in Pranburi and will move there full time by mid 2016. when I do leave here I was hoping to go to Seoul to get a visa without needing to go back to the UK for police reports, medical checks or what ever. I thought I could do that with a O visa and as long as I had the cash in the bank for 2 months ( first time) I could change this to a OA visa (long stay) while I was in Hua Hin .
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

jungle wrote:Thanks for the help guys. I asked this question some time ago and I thought I had it sussed but not so sure. We are both British and are living in Korea (was Singapore last time.) we have a home in Pranburi and will move there full time by mid 2016. when I do leave here I was hoping to go to Seoul to get a visa without needing to go back to the UK for police reports, medical checks or what ever. I thought I could do that with a O visa and as long as I had the cash in the bank for 2 months ( first time) I could change this to a OA visa (long stay) while I was in Hua Hin .
Just come with your O visa... Can do everything here with little fuss. No police or medical checks needed.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

As above. No need for the OA visa. You can get annual extensions (which is what you'll want if settling here) from an O visa.
jungle

Post by jungle »

Thanks guys, your advice is much appreciated. I will keep checking on the financial side of it.