Bowel Movements - Firm, soft, sloppy or liquid?

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Bowel Movements - Firm, soft, sloppy or liquid?

Post by Jaime »

On my recent trip to Hua Hin and various other backward places, I had the opportunity to consider the changing anatomy of of my excreta over the course of a month. My study was in-situ and necessarily solitary and so I would like to broaden my research by means of this forum.

For the first week of my sojourn, I was delighted to find that the diet of milk, cheese, weetabix, bread, butter, bacon, potatoes, etc that I had been so happy to discover at Tesco Lotus was ensuring that my toilet bombs remained as good firm British logs. They even required mild effort to expell and so I felt like a conquering hero, upholding a fine British tradition in the steaming Tropics. Certainly, this was more authentic than High Tea at the Sofitel. However, my triumphant colonial evacuations were short lived and before long I found myself in dreaded 'too scared to fart' territory.

It all began with a 'bad mussel' and a few days of nasty gastro-intestinal pain after a trip to Mrs Jaime's relatives in Bangkok. After a couple of days of near normality back in Hua Hin, I was very quickly back on the pan after arriving in 'The Village' for Songkhran. In fact, whilst there, my most treasured and guarded possession was a toilet roll that I took with me from Hua Hin. It was one of two that I requisitioned in the name of civility and having quickly used the first I wished I had taken a truckload. The remaining roll was kept under lock and key in my dark, oven-like room, which resembled the Khmer Rouge head-man’s house in The Killing Fields. Most of my time was spent in explosive style on the squat toilet and then in the ‘bath room’ hosing myself down. The ambience in either of these rooms was marginally more welcoming than a Ugandan torture chamber.

Of course I was the only person who used tissue paper for toilet purposes in 'The Village' – everyone else uses their hand and some cold water from the mosquito infested open cistern next to the pan. I developed the act of balancing on the squat pan into a minor art form as I swatted the mosquitoes that hovered menacingly around my nether regions. Slipping into the pan was always a possibility but somehow I managed to avoid it. I seemed to spend hours at a time like this. Theoretically there is a ‘one hand for wiping, one hand for eating’ cultural regime in place in 'The Sticks' but the reality is that everyone eats with both hands. Since most food is communal finger food I was doomed to suffer the ‘arse like a blood orange’ syndrome until I got back to the relative civilisation of Hua Hin.

I had seen my glorious British logs quickly reduced, bypassing a transitional form, to explosive brown water bombs lacking any real substance and composed mainly of staccato air blasts and brown, tea-like liquid. In order to assist the reader's visualisation, this would be tea as served in the realm of HM QE2 - with a jot of milk. However, once back in HH, my stools began to slowly gain substance. By the time of the taxi trip back to Don Muang airport (two weeks later) they had achieved the consistency of a rustic calf liver pate that I had the pleasure of consuming with bruschetta in Venice this last January. It went well with a glass of Bardolino as I recall (the pate, that is). For those unlucky enough not to have partaken of Venetian calf's liver pate, it has the colour and consistency of smooth peanut butter - perhaps a jar that has a little too much peanut oil in it. I carefully inspected my creation at a service station near the turn off to Samut Songkhram and was relieved that things were firming up before my 12 hour flight.

It has taken a full week back in the UK for me to feel comfortable again and I am pleased to report that mild effort is once again required for the expulsion of a firm, unbroken stool. I am also confident enough to forcibly break wind for comedy purposes without risk of the joke being on me.

But my solitary suffering in Thailand caused me to consider the scatological plight of both Thais and ex-pats in The Land of Smile[sic]. For example. In the early stage of my holiday I was blocking latrines left, right and centre. The local plumbing just seemed to be unable to cope with the firm pride of British bowels. At first I thought it must be the toilet paper, but no! As my movements became more liquid I was using yet more paper to dab my flayed anus dry and the latrines, both squat and western styles, seemed perfectly able to cope with the quantity of paper, which must have equated to that of a small forest. It was definitely the logs that were causing the problem.

So, logic dictates that everyone in Thailand must be clogging their pan if they are delivering British style evacuations into it. Surely this is not the case or there would be the rythmic sound of plungers sucking at toilet pans rising above the chorus of frogs and crickets each day. My conclusion then, is that Thais and ex-pats experience soft to runny evacuations as a matter of course. I would hazard a guess that the Thai version is more liquid due to the daily diet of fish tank water soup, pond weed, bplah la and other sloppy fishy stuff but this would need verification.

I would be interested to read the contributions of other researchers on this subject, particularly in relation to the conclusion I have drawn concerning the nature of bowel evacuations amongst the Thai and ex-pat communities.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Jaime,

Its is very refreshing for me to see that I am not the only one who has taken time to study the the phenonemem of the variations in consistency of excretia.

The frequent passage of abnormally loose, watery stool usually develops suddenly and may last from several hours to a few days. In normal digestion the large intestine absorbs excess water from liquid food residues produced by earlier phases of the digestive process before excreting semisolid stools. When the mucous membrane lining the large intestine is irritated or inflamed, food residues move through the large intestine too quickly and the resulting stool is watery because the large intestine cannot absorb the excess water.

The usual treatment for diarrhea consists of bed rest (unfortunately in reallity this has to be substituted to squatting over the hole rest), drinking liquids (no alcoholic) to replace fluids and salts lost from the body, and eating soft foods.

Most food borne illness may be prevented by observing strict sanitary measures in preparing and storing food, serving food soon after preparation, and quickly placing leftovers under refrigeration. Food processing techniques, from canning to irradiation (exposure of food to low levels of ionizing radiation), can protect consumers from food-borne illness as well.

In Thailand none of the practices are adhered to. I have seen people use water from a sealed plastic bottle and then pour it into a galls that has just been rinsed with soup like water from a mosquito and bacteria infested urn and then server it for human consumption. I hav many time pointed out that they may as well just get the soup and drinlt that and save the six baht at 7/11 only to be expertly informed that that is Mai Dee. All further explanations regarding the size of bacteria and their ability to re-produce gets poo pooed (forgive the pun). If you hold up the glass and see relatively clear water without identifying any life forms that are not swimming around then the water is fine for human consumption.

There are many other wqays that bacteria and virii can be transmitted. Your friendly mussel is a well known propogator of bacteria. Probably the most common way of becoming infected is the use of the rural toilet. The routine goes something like this.

A hole in the ground is dug over a underground channel that evacuates its excess fluids and solids (if there are any) into the nearest natural drainage route. This will probably be a stream which then finds itw way to the river where your children are swimming and your peers are fishing.

Water is sucked up from the underground water supply, that of course already contains effluence form the rest of the village, and held in an urn where mosquitos can bread in relative safety. A plastic bowl is then provided for the user to cleanse himself after the exposion has taken place. The usual method is to grap the bowl, fill it with the already infected water from the urn, use the hand best suited for the purpose to clean the affected area whilst continuing to hold the bowl in the optimum position. Much of the unwanted excretia gets put into the bowl and some of it actually manages to find its way into the hole in the ground. When complete (completeness is undefineable of course, everybody has their own view on when the job is finished) the bowl containing the mixture of infected water, mosquito eggs and human excretia is chucked back into the urn. The more hygenically minded will then grab the plastic bowl again and wash their hands in the water. Occasionally I have even witnessed the drying of the hands using a piece of rag that has become too dirty to use as a kitchen cloth anymore.

At this point the bacteria are jumping for joy as they have been released from the aquatic prison to start a new life with a new host. The toilet users will then go back to the kitchen and continue to prepare your meal. The meal is then often eaten without the aid of utensils. The bacteria has achieved its goal and continues life with the new host knowing that it can now reproduce at a rate that makes a rabbit feel inadequate.

You then consume the newly prepared bacteria infested meal and get sick, go to the bog and start the whole cycle over again.

Of course humans are not the only species to contribute to the spread of
fecies borne bacteria.

Now for the bad news. Alcohol reduces the human immunity system's capabilities for fighting bacteria. The more you drink the more likey the bateria will live and cause sickness and runs.

The human immunity system, over time, build up a knowledge database of bacteria that it has encountered before and is better prepared for combat. Locals, therefore, have a better chance than the wandering visitor.

My advice on diet when trips up country.

Take a back pack full of Pot Noodles, Mars Bars and Corn Flakes (Frosties may be a better option as they stay crisper and provide more energy), spoon and fork, a bowl (only to be used for eating) and a dozen rolls of kitchen towels, a container of washing up liquid and a economy pack of adult diapers. It's better to take you own diapers as people get embarrassed when asking for a loan and frequently deny having them even though you have spotted a pack on top of the wardrobe.

Prepare all of you meals yourself.

These precautions will ensure that you continue to excrete Italian Pate rather than Cambells Oxtail soup or the somtimes painful lumberjack special.

Happy dumping.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Jaime,

That was great, laughed my ass off (!) for about ten minutes - Cheers!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

It shit the living daylights out of me!!!!! :shock:

I have two days upcountry staying in the village home on the 20th and 21st May!

At least I've been forewarned and will be prepared, I avoided the loos last time, but 2 days - no way!

Very funny though and welcome back Jaime - I think? :)
Talk is cheap
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

If i get the wild s***** its usually within 30 mins, but someone told me it takes 4 hours to get through the system. Anyone know the crack?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Welcome back Jaime. Good to see you made it. I had thoughts you had gone native, never to be heard from again...LOL.

The 30 minute routine JW seems to be cases of real bad food poisioning. In those cases I've had immediate problems at both ends plus, seeing stars and falling flat on my face on the restaurant floor. Sometimes that kind is real bad and you need to go on an IV drip in the hospital for a day and night.

The usual stuff with me seems to take over night and then I am at a total loss as to what small morsel of what was the real culprit. I've been out with people who ate the exact same things and they had no problems the next day at all. Big mystery or just unlucky I guess.

Besides packing the OFF mosquito spray, pack IMODIUM anti s&*t tablets also...don't leave home without it. Pete :cheers:
sezanu
Amateur
Amateur

Post by sezanu »

It seems like it's a shitty world we live in.

Jaime, good to hear that you feel better.

First time in HH I spent a week in hospital,and it took me about
6 months before I was fully recovered.
The called it shigila, to me it was hell.
Lost about 15 kg in 2 weeks.

2nd time I lived after and old word saying'' when in Rome do as roman''
That worked, I ate almost everthing and my stomach was good.
well I thought this was the cure, though look my friend next time in HH
hell broke loose again, my stomach got wild again.
Immodium didn't work, went to the farmacy got some pills.
They worked for a couple of days, then I was back on the shithole again.
Wthat cured me this time was a bad mixture of singha and coca cola.
Taste like shit but after 2 days I felt good and was able to eat again.

The strange thing is that my kids eats the same food as me, and never suffers from a bad stomach.

Will be back in HH in 60 days, wonder how it will turn out this time.
It's possible for me to take mixture before I come down, they say it will
help a tender tourist stomach.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This is all getting very depressing but, valuable information and warnings for new visitors, especially in the hot season. Maybe Khun Guess knows about the following?

I read some years ago that the major cause of death in Thailand was gastro-intestinal disease. Makes sense to me given what we see each day in the market place and no real emphasis on refrigeration. Again, this statistic was maybe 10 years ago. Perhaps now replace by heart disease or cancer, I don't know. Pete
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

There are many Gastro-intestinal diseases. In fact any disease either viral, bactrerial or other (including bowel cancer) falls under that umbrella.

I can believe that it is the biggest killer in Thailand but have seen no stats on it. However it way out numbers violent deaths (both deliberate and accidental) which currently stand at over 100 per day.

One of the problems in Thailand with statisitics is that there is little valid data to make samples. The population that have access to Doctors and Hospitals generally lead different life styles from those who do not. Therefore the available data only covers a certain priviliged percentage of the population.

In many cases in rural populations people die without ever being diagnosed. (That still happens in Western Society and allowed Harold Shipman to become the worlds most prolific murderer).

My guess though, that with a move of life style to a more Western like standard, unnatural deaths caused by heart disease will increase. I have noticed in more affluent areas like Bangkok and Hua Hin that Thai children are adopting a taste for junk food. (The consumption of junk food is reckoned to be a bigger killer in the US than either Smoking or Alcohol).

So, on the one hand the Thais are gradually becoming more aware of the risks of Gastrointenstinal disorders (most of which are not lethal) and Hepatobiliary (Liver) on the other hand smoking and drinking are on the increase.

Hygene still needs attention. This is probably why there are more Pharmacies per capita in Thailand than any other country in the world.

UNICEF and various Thai Medical Research institutions have more in depth details.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Mongo Slade

Bowel movement

Post by Mongo Slade »

Jaime and Guess,
You guys really know your shit! I laughed out loud when I read your posts, it caused me to reflect on my first visit to Thailand. I had my mind made up that I was not, under any circumstances going to use the Asian toilet for number two. I was extremely careful of what I ate, a couple of times I came close but managed to hold my cheeks tightly together and waddle back to the hotel. To make a long story short, I managed to avoid using the Asian toilet for 27 days and so I thought victory was at hand. On my return trip to Bankok we stopped at my g/f mothers house for lunch in the country. We had a nice lunch of chicken, fish, vegetables, rice etc. Her mom runs a little country store and sells home made whiskey, so when offered, I just couldn't refuse. Potent shit I might add, anyway we left there headed for airport. When we got close to Bankok we ran into heavy traffic and that's when I noticed my stomach started acting up and I felt like I had to cut one, yeah you guessed it, I was afraid very afraid. If I did that I would definetly soil my pants. The cramps wouldn't let up, so I begged the driver to find me a toilet quick. The five minutes seemed like an eternity. He pulled into a rest stop and I asked my g/f for tissue paper and then I carefully walked like a woman in tight skirt to the ASIAN toilet rolled up my pants legs and squatted down and let out such an explotion, at that point in time that Asian toilet wasn't so bad after all. I came back to the van with a smile on my face like a little kid when you thank him for using the potty. :D When I return to Thailand at least I'll have that first behind me......no pun intended :mrgreen:
One must always revisit the past in order to move ahead to the future.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Down in Ranong last year doing my visa. I was fine all the way there and through immigration, but on the way over on the boat, my stomach started churning. I didn't fancy a Burmese khasi (although they're probably no worse than the Thai ones), so quickly got my stamps and gritted my teeth on the way back.
I was going to explode back at Thai imm, so while the passport was being processed I rushed off to their loos. About 20 mins later, the cubicle looked like a nuclear bomb had hit it. What a mess!! Anyway, I tried to clear up as best I could, but the water ran out. On leaving the cubicle, an officer was having a pee and asked if I was OK. I grunted something unintelligle, collected my passport and got the hell out of there PDQ.
The next time I went down, there was a poster up at the entrance to the toilets with my photo on it advising me not to use the toilets again - ever!! :wink:
mozzy
Rookie
Rookie

the trots

Post by mozzy »

having returned from a trip to thailand/cambodia border at the end of march, I can relate to this story. I was seriously bad for the first 5 days (only there 8). Every shop/airport store I went into they sold laxatives but no "Imodium". It was a big problem. I darent venture too far from my room in case I had to sprint back. Eventually I stopped taking the anti malarial tablets I had been prescribed and this seemed to sort me out.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

There are two things I have found useful in the past, whilst afflicted, to avoid the dreaded “geisha fire drillâ€
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Thank you all for your concern and kind replies. I too have found that eggs work as a short term binding agent - when in 'The Village' I live on a diet of eggs and toast, cooked over a charcoal brazier. Alas I believe that this is only truly effective if one also gives up Chang.

Unfortunately, the excruciating stomach pain was as much of a problem as the gaping wound that my sorry arsehole had become. The eggs were not effective at relieving the pain.

However, I was prescribed the following:

Buscopan - 1-2 tablets 3-5 times a day for 'relief of spastic abdominal pain.'

Norfloxacin - 1 x 400mg tablet 3 times a day for the general destruction of staphylococcus causing bacterial gastroenteritis, although this drug is also administered for treatment of gonorrhoea, so maybe they just give it to farangs as a matter of course as a 'cure all.' The patient advice in the pack warned of 'severe renal impairment' in rare cases but I chose to ignore this particular possible side effect for the sake of saving my digestive system any further torture.

But back to topic and my OP - my research is concerned more with consistency than cure, particularly with regard to the fragmented stools of full time residents. I am still none the wiser as to the normal day to day consistency of a Thai or ex-pat's excretia.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Jaime wrote;
I am still none the wiser as to the normal day to day consistency of a Thai or ex-pat's excretia.

It has been my experience that during a prolonged stay in a civilized tropical locale such as Hua Hin, ones movements are not so daunting. Certainly less distressing than your explosive evacuations!

It is a point of fact that the stool lacks the fortitude of that traditionally produced in the English throne room, during the morning constitutional.

However, the looseness is not of such an advanced state, perhaps more in the similarity of that which would be achieved during a fortnights stay in Belgium ( assuming naturally, one passed on the horsemeat )

Now a lengthy residence in a Thai agricultural setting is an entirely different matter.

The only instance in the past when I have attained a comparable consistency, was during an extended sojourn to the Irish republic, during which I consumed a considerable quantity of Guiness stout ( this being the only leisure activity applicable to the climate ).

This has an effect on the digestive tract, which is hard to comprehend; the black stuff comes out in an identical state to which it went in, only with considerably more force.

It is certainly the only time in my life, that I have considered the “flock of starlingsâ€