Foreign friendly Bank Hua Hin

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Foreign friendly Bank Hua Hin

Post by Hahuahin »

I allow me to ask for information about the most actual Thai Bank in Hua Hin for a retire with retirement visa who need to transfer monthly pension from Europe and like to have a Thai Bank Visa Debit card to shop online both here and from abroad and a plus would be if also possible to use Atm`s in Europe when on a annual trip home.

Thank you
Hahuahin
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Re: Foreign friendly Bank Hua Hin

Post by laphanphon »

I was out re-conning banks myself, just the other day. Since USA SS will not direct deposit in Thai banks.

Short story, NO success. None either didn't offer or know what I was talking about, as for USA SS will only use IAT format, not the ACH format that charges, or Swift. After 4 banks, I stopped looking and will continue on with my present, simple, free ATM withdrawal.

I asked at SCB, Thanachart, Krung Thai, CIMB. Did not ask at BKK Bank. If that helps, and location was PKK municipality, not HH.

Surprised about CIMB, as used them before in the past for large intern'l transfers, along with UOB. Both for transfers and multiple currency accounts, though both at Krung Thep branches.

Good Luck
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Hahuahin wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:34 pm I allow me to ask for information about the most actual Thai Bank in Hua Hin for a retire with retirement visa who need to transfer monthly pension from Europe and like to have a Thai Bank Visa Debit card to shop online both here and from abroad and a plus would be if also possible to use Atm`s in Europe when on a annual trip home.
I have all that with Kasikorn, although I can't comment about ahopping on line from abroad, as I have never even considered a need for that.
Talk is cheap
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Nice....the one bank, CMIB, did suggest I try Kasikorn.

Do you know if it is sent in IAT format, or simply as an ACH, format unknown ?

Also any charges, whether on the sender or receiver of fund ?

Any info, update appreciated. THANKS
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

caller wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:49 pm
Hahuahin wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:34 pm I allow me to ask for information about the most actual Thai Bank in Hua Hin for a retire with retirement visa who need to transfer monthly pension from Europe and like to have a Thai Bank Visa Debit card to shop online both here and from abroad and a plus would be if also possible to use Atm`s in Europe when on a annual trip home.
I have all that with Kasikorn, although I can't comment about ahopping on line from abroad, as I have never even considered a need for that.
Thank you for replying. If it is a Visa Debit card with chip you have got it is most likely possible to use it everywhere. What kind of documentation did you need to provide for the Bank when opening the account?
hahuahin
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

laphanphon wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:44 pm I was out re-conning banks myself, just the other day. Since USA SS will not direct deposit in Thai banks.

Short story, NO success. None either didn't offer or know what I was talking about, as for USA SS will only use IAT format, not the ACH format that charges, or Swift. After 4 banks, I stopped looking and will continue on with my present, simple, free ATM withdrawal.

I asked at SCB, Thanachart, Krung Thai, CIMB. Did not ask at BKK Bank. If that helps, and location was PKK municipality, not HH.

Surprised about CIMB, as used them before in the past for large intern'l transfers, along with UOB. Both for transfers and multiple currency accounts, though both at Krung Thep branches.

Good Luck
Maybe I misunderstand but didn't the bank`s let you open an account or was it that they not accept (use) the IAT format? My European Bank use Swift so I hope some of them accept that?

hahuahin
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Account opened, and I simply deposited the 400+k from cash on hand. 2 deposits over a couple days.

Think all banks allow Swift transfers. What I'm looking for is free international transfers. Or I'll simply continue on with using ATMs.

Thai banks seem to want to charge for everything, even making deposits in your own account with your own funds. International transfers, and even local deposits, if out of Amphur.

I refuse to pay someone to use my funds for their profit. Bad enough the interest, if any, is so low. My funds have better things to do, than sit in savings, and actually loose value since interest earned doesn't even keep up with inflation.

Spend it today, as worth less tomorrow .... 8)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I used Transferwise for the first time a couple of weeks ago after hearing so many good reports. Always worry about new procedures when dealing with money. Worries were groundless. Excellent service. Made the transfer at 9pm one night and it was in my BKK bank the following morning. They use the inter-bank rate (the one you get on xe.com) and even after they take a small commission, hardly noticeable on the rate. No bank charges at either end as it's a local transfer. Plus you get a progress line so you know just when it's arrived.
I'm sure the banks don't like it but I'll always use it in the future.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Yes, read up at that / Transferwise, and does seem to be the best route, least expense and timely delivery. :thumb:

Although, IF they / Imm. ever go back to using 'deposits of 40k / 65k' for extension, that might not work, since showing as a local transfer.
Last edited by laphanphon on Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I take your point but I suppose you could always print off proof of the transaction from the net.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

It would be nice, if Imm was a bit more trusting, but the scammers have done us all in. Really can't blame them / Imm for being leary of everything that we give them.

So much is so easily faked now. Sure most of us could simply print off our banking info, or even show live, on our devices, transactions records into Thailand, while sitting in front of them doing the extension.

Take all of 15 seconds to load my ATM withdrawal page showing transaction, every month, from the exact same ATM for me. Pretty much all I use that one debit card for.

I even save my ATM slips, in case they actually question where the 400k came from...LOL

No one to blame but our fellow expats who abused their trust in the past.
buksida

Post by buksida »

laphanphon wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:14 am
No one to blame but our fellow expats who abused their trust in the past.
Or the immigration officers themselves for taking the bungs and offering 'alternative options'. :roll:

:offtopic: banks in Hua Hin.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Ah yes, the chicken vs the egg conundrum ..... :D

.... the bribe vs the solicitation .... :roll:

In the west, it's called 'entrapment' .... 8)

:offtopic: banks in Hua Hin.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

laphanphon wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:09 am Account opened, and I simply deposited the 400+k from cash on hand. 2 deposits over a couple days.

Think all banks allow Swift transfers. What I'm looking for is free international transfers. Or I'll simply continue on with using ATMs.

Thai banks seem to want to charge for everything, even making deposits in your own account with your own funds. International transfers, and even local deposits, if out of Amphur.

I refuse to pay someone to use my funds for their profit. Bad enough the interest, if any, is so low. My funds have better things to do, than sit in savings, and actually loose value since interest earned doesn't even keep up with inflation.

Spend it today, as worth less tomorrow .... 8)

Code: Select all

I refuse to pay someone to use my funds for their profit.
:thumb: Now if only the rest of 7 plus Billion people could think likewise the banks would have to give us the best interest rate on savings ever seen.

Btw, and if I can ask what bank did you open account in at what documentation did the bank demand?

Hahuahin
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Thanachart Bank, as have used before, and all wife's accounts are with them also. 49 % Canadian owned, though don't think means anything. Surely set up as a subsidiary, so if failing, still no deposit protection.

Though I would seriously consider Kasikorn instead, if they actually use IAT format for intern'l direct deposit. I'll check on that when in Krung Thep at their main branch, as out provinces don't seem to have the knowledge or experience with foreign customers.

Just my PP, and rental lease needed, I think, which they made copies of. Thai ID (pink), not required, but made entering info into computer easier for them. My legal name, transliteration is always a challenge for them, as first name is actually 2 initials, and phonetically spelled out in Thai, rather than corresponding letters.

Put 200k in one day, then 210k in the next. 200 at a time, so no flags at USA IRS, and extra 10k, so balance never falls below 400k, or it voids that month for 'seasoning'.

2 months will work out to first week of January, in which I'll apply for my visa.

All quite easy, and even easier if not a Yank, as additional IRS paperwork needed to be done, and I apparently was their 1st, so took awhile. Usually a less than 15 minute process took an hour .... LOL ... as they were tutored through via BKK office. :roll: This PKK / municipality branch.

As soon as visa approved, I'll be moving the 400k out anyway, and stick back somewhere 3+ months before extending in 2020. Hopefully they'll sort monthly deposit approvals for extensions by then, or I'll find a no fee direct deposit bank, hopefully Kasikorn (in BKK) will offer what I want. Then no need to use ATM 4 or 5 times a month. :roll: