Police 'fines'

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
KelpieKiss
Banned
Banned

Police 'fines'

Post by KelpieKiss »

Just got stopped by the police on my way back from a meal in Cha Am, heading towards the Eurasia Hotel area.

I was stone cold sober and driving well under the limit. Only when he saw my white face did he stop me. He reckoned my UK driving license wasn't good enough. It was the usual pay now or pay at the police station. I'm not sure whether or not you do actually need an international license.

Gave him 100 baht. Do I need an international license?
Last edited by KelpieKiss on Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

Sorry mate, but the MIB were spot on - you do need an international licence! For the sake of 100 baht, probably worth a deep breath and a count to ten and then a move onwards.
ดวงขึ้น
จิม
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Jim wrote:Sorry mate, but the MIB were spot on - you do need an international licence! For the sake of 100 baht, probably worth a deep breath and a count to ten and then a move onwards.
And for those "knockers" on the recent post from Chas, take note!

You will also find that you can only use an International licence for 6 months, if you live here. And, an International Drivers Licence, issued in Thailand, is not valid for use in Thailand.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Who says you need an international driver license?
All high ranking officers I've been talking to says our standard EU driver license is accepted by Thai Police, whether you live here or not.
(I asked in both Bangkok and Hua Hin).
Even the embassy says it's ok to use EU licenses here so I would like to know if there's any change of rule.
I've been stopped 6 times by the mib's, but they never questioned my EU driver license.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

When they wave at you I normally wave back and keep driving unless they are right in front of me blocking the road .It works most of the time but has backfired once recently .I kept going at a steady speed 50km at most .A policeman further up the road that I had not seen jumped into the road so close to the car that I had to swerve round him ,even at that speed I could not have stopped .He threw his little rule book at the car and dived into the bush he had just come out of .I glanced round and saw that he was ok and kept going until I got to a brightly lit and populated area .I then stopped and let them catch me up .Told them some cock and bull story about not knowing they were police (men in black jackets at night loitering in an unlit soi? I had a point I feel) 1000 baht .Worth it to see the guy with the leaves in his messed up hair .The same guy has pulled me since.I stopped this time, and he really gave me a talking to in front of his officers in order to regain face .A few wais and Na khrups and he sent me on my way with no fine .He also clearly told me that next time he stops me he expects me to pay something for whatever I have done wrong .He did it with a friendly smile .

Put it into perspective .

Whilst not drunk I was certainly over the limit .
No Licence international or otherwise on me .
No passport with me .
By the time they had all made statements it would have read that I swerved round a roadblock and almost ran over an officer of the law then made an attempt to flee .

What would have happened in England ?

I think I will stop and give him his tea money in future .

Mind you if I'm on the motorbike ?

:wink:

Crazy88
Hobiecat
Professional
Professional

Post by Hobiecat »

Well I've been waiting for someone to bring up the police again as I have to share this short story with you. About two months ago I had a friend come down from Hong Kong for a visit. We had been invited over to another friends for drinks and a little midnight welding. Seems my buddy has been having a problem with the locals stealing the steal drain covers on his road. Well he was smart enough to plan a head and went to Home Pro that day to pick up a welder, grinder, gloves, welding rods and of course safety sandels.

At about 1 am we figured we were in the right frame of mind to get to it. At this point the wife could see this was not going to be an early night and discided best to take the truck home. So we sparked up the grinder to get clean contacts and the welder started shortly after. At around 3 am we were convinced all the man hole covers were going to be there for roll call in the morning. Congradulating each other on a job well done we thought it best to call it a night as we were all pretty sure we were all going to have a fairly ruff morning.

Since the wife took the truck I had to borrow my buddys bike to get myself and guest home. We thought it wise to probably take a back road so we putted along the dirt road connecting Soi 94 to 102 along the rail tracks.

Upon getting to Soi 102 we say a MIB standing beside his bike. He put his had up so we stopped. Myself being a little worried with the situation I quickly wipped out my wallet to show him my licence but not releasing it to his graspe. He released the wallet and as quickly as it came out of my pocket it was back in. My buddy and I both looked at each other :shock: noticing there wasn't something right here. The cop stumbling towards us asked me " do you have a smoke". My buddy and I looked at each other again :laugh: and instantly knew what was up. I said " sorry I don't smoke" (with a full pack of L&M's in my pocket. I quickly knocked the bike into gear and drove off saying "Good Bye". We laughed all the way up the road because he was in far worst shape than us.

That's the second MIB I've seen in some for of intoxication. Wow...... if I only knew I could do that at work. I would have been a cop to! :cheers:
Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

https://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/o ... untry.html

For those without a Thai driving licence, an IPD is required in Thailand and other countries, as stated in the 1949 Geneva Convention.

Tha application of this requirement, as with one or two other things, may be subject to local interpretation.

Hope this helps clarify the nominal legalities guys.

Cheers
ดวงขึ้น
จิม
Little treefrog
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Little treefrog »

Norseman wrote:Who says you need an international driver license?
All high ranking officers I've been talking to says our standard EU driver license is accepted by Thai Police, whether you live here or not.
Even the embassy says it's ok to use EU licenses here so I would like to know if there's any change of rule.
I've been stopped 6 times by the mib's, but they never questioned my EU driver license.
According of the information I have found out, you need an International Driving Licens (1968 convention ).
However the differenc between Brittish driving licens and I think the rest of Europe is that we have a picture, birth date, and citizenship on our driving licens. This could be reason way EU driving licens works.
I don´t know if Brittish driving licens have a picture now on it, last time I heard anything of this mather they just had a folded piece of paper as a driving licens:-)
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Treefrog, there is a newer type UK license that comes with an ID type photo card, but I still have the older one which is the folded sheet of paper. The problem with the International permit is that you have to get them in the UK and it only lasts one year, so I never manage to keep them valid.
When stopped I always show my passport as well to get around the problem and this normally works, failing that I resort to 100 bt.
I keep trying to get a new style license, but seeing as how I only ever go to the UK at weekends, it’s taking a while.
I could get a Luxembourg license here, but I stay in a hotel so the address is a problem.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

license

Post by redzonerocker »

Jim wrote:
Tha application of this requirement, as with one or two other things, may be subject to local interpretation.
i & most others i know of that have been stopped, have always just had a uk licence & there has never been a problem.
i think its better that you have the newest version with the photo though.
but. . . .i don't think it will matter that much whether you have a uk,us, canadian, international or even a martian driving licence, if the said mib is looking for a handout, he will find another option/excuse for the donation :D
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Police Fines

Post by margaretcarnes »

Right there I think Redzone - if the tea club fund is running low they will get you regardless. But I thought it was pretty easy to get a Thai licence? HHTel might be able to comment on that as I know he did it a few years ago - but don't know how long they are valid for.
Steve G - hope you get sorted with your plastic licence - the old paper UK ones are no longer accepted as valid ID here by banks etc.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

- the old paper UK ones are no longer accepted as valid ID here by banks etc.
Margaret, seeing as it’s held together with sellotape and covered in sweaty stains, it’s pretty hard to get it accepted as anything but a historical curiosity these days. If I need any ID I have to use my passport.
I was trying to compete with my father who managed to get away with a little red book issued in the 1940’s for about half a century, but I think I’m going to have to concede defeat on that score.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Norseman wrote:Who says you need an international driver license?
All that I will say to this is:
1. I hope that it is only the same "high ranking" police that ever stop you.
2. I also hope that you have them lined up ready to go to court with you if you are unfortunate enough to have an accident, and your Thai Insurance Co refuses to pay, because you do not have a "current" licence. Or is your Embassy going to do that for you?

My information comes from both my Lawyer and having been here 20 years. My Lawyer has been wrong before, but this issue is pretty straight forward. Why take the risk? There are so many things in Thailand that you cannot avoid, but this licence issue is a no-brainer, it is not difficult to get one.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

This website from the Thai consulate in Chigago has information on the subject:http://www.thaichicago.net/clate/driving.html

Thailand joined the 1949 Convention on 15 August 1962 and is presently a contracting party. Thailand issues the 1949 International Driving Permit. Any 1949 International Driving Permit issued by other contracting parties is valid in Thailand.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Agree with you Nereus that it's a no brainer to get a Thai driver license.
(Maybe this is one of the reasons to the many terrible traffic accidents here).
I got my own Thai driver license about four years ago, but before that I only had my EU license.
With that license I've been all over Thailand, been stopped 6 times by police, but there were never any questions of the validity of my EU driver license.
Never had any accident which clearly would test the validity of it though.
The chief of police in Chiang Mai, which I met in a party, told me that the EU license was good enough for use in Thailand.

However, if you are involved in a accident, whether equipped with EU license or Thai license, you are the one to be blamed and shamed for the accident.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.