Something's been niggling me

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.

460 Baht for 3 cups of coffee is:

Total Rip Off
79%
Value for Money
No votes
Simply Starbucks
21%

Total votes: 33

Big Boy

Something's been niggling me

Post by Big Boy »

Something's been niggling me for a couple weeks now. I'd like to share it with you, and would like some honest feedback please.

We were walking back from the day market when the heavens opened, and it started pouring with rain. We were walking past Starbucks near the clock-tower, so I suggested we went in for a coffee in the hope it was a quick shower.

We went in and sat at one of the dingy tables. Nobody came. Eventually a Thai voice beckoned my wife to the counter to place our order. She ordered 3 cups of coffee and was told it would be a few minutes. We waited, and waited ..................... eventually the same Thai voice advised that our coffee was ready, and were we going to collect it.

My wife and granddaughter went to the counter to collect the drinks - my wife was given the bill at the same time - 460 Baht!

I accept that I would probably have paid more in the UK, but TIT.

Is it me, or was that a complete rip off? In most bars with the same money I could have purchased 6 bottles of Singha, had a portion of silk worms and still had enough change for an ice-coffee from the 7/11 on the way home.

The reason I've said nothing until now is that I still find it hard to believe that I was charged 460 Baht for 3 coffees.

Do people actually use Starbucks on more than one occasion in Hua Hin? If they do, why?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

I think thats disgraceful personally.

Ive never used it in Hua Hin and I wouldnt at them prices.

All 3 of you could have had a bit of something to eat and a coffee for that somewhere along poonsuk.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

I have never been there and will for certain never go there in the future either.
Coffee twice as expensive than beer is just amazing!!
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

rip off

Post by lindosfan1 »

Big boy went once, service not good 300 baht for 2 coffees. This high pricing is a stupid policy because customers will not go back. I will never go there again as I live here that is a lot of sales they have lost.
Best coffee I have had is up the road beside the dpt store opposite the temple. One blue mountain iced coffee and one Thai tea was about 65 baht for both . Trouble is no good when it rains.
If it is raining one opposite police station not bad but I forget price sorry
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Cowtown Comedy
Professional
Professional

Post by Cowtown Comedy »

BB, I think SB's is a joke, overpriced, and poor quality. It works in BBK, but not HH. It does surprise me however, seeing so many Thais frequent these places. In general, vendors are demanding huge markups for coffee in HH. Even high end beans producing 8 ounces of coffee cost less than 10 baht. Add a bit of milk and sugar...hmmmm you do the math.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Big Boy, is that the Starbucks in genral price or just the franchises price, me and the wife have been to Starbucks in MBK we had 2 coffee's 2 danishes and i dont recal it being that steap you should have told the girl to put a mask on at those silly prices! i definitely wont be going to the one in HH.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks for the quick responses - especially Lindosfan, who has basically confirmed the excessive charge. At least I feel a little better now that I know they rip everybody off and not just me :?

Points 51; Position 21
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

kendo wrote:Big Boy, is that the Starbucks in genral price or just the franchises price, me and the wife have been to Starbucks in MBK we had 2 coffee's 2 danishes and i dont recal it being that steap you should have told the girl to put a mask on at those silly prices! i definitely wont be going to the one in HH.
That was the price at the one by the clocktower. I'm not going to try the one in market village - its not that easy for a Farang to get a mortgage in Thailand :D

Points 51; Position 21
little imp
Amateur
Amateur

starf**ks

Post by little imp »

:cry: yes these are the prices i seen in bkk, over 150 baht a cup, as you know, thai love brand names and will sit in there and take 3 hrs to drink it.

even thou they can go to a stall and get an ice coffee for 20 baht.

:cheers:
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Coffee

Post by Pagey »

I always stay opposite Market Village and only ever a few people in Starbucks, probably because of it's brand name, and hardly anyone in Black Mountain I think it's called, on the 1st floor. I looked at coffee shop franchises but far too expensive and few or no customers in HH.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

There you go Pagey.
Start your own coffee shop. Call it Black Star or Bucks Mountain and Bob's your Uncle.
:cheers:
You only live once.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Whoops It's Black Canyon , I just checked the franchise application :oops:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
bozzman101
Guru
Guru

Post by bozzman101 »

and fannys your aunt............lol

black canyon aint bad 50 b for a good cup of coffee

as the old saying goes if your aunt had balls she be your uncle

and starbuck are a rip off had a coffee there 2 yrs ago will never go back !!!!!!!!!!!!! :guns:
Once you go Asian you will never go Caucasian !!
iagra
Rookie
Rookie

Post by iagra »

Must agree with lindosfan about the coffee stall at the side door of the s'market/dept store. When I'm in HH it's one of my must-do daily treats - sipping a cup of fresh, delicious, punchy black coffee and watching the world go by, 30 baht. Wouldn't dream of going to Starbucks or its like, and certainly not now that BB has confirmed that their prices are a joke.
"Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?" - Bruce Springsteen
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

iagra wrote:
certainly not now that BB has confirmed that their prices are a joke.
Didn't make me laugh :?

Points 51; Position 21